Group buy in Chicago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all goes well I would definitely be in for another bulk buy later in the year for those interested. I should be set for base grains for a while but I am running low on specialty grains. I would pick some up now also but I need to finish my new brew room to determine my total storage space.
:mug:

Order looks fine, price total seems off

CM-2ROW Canada Malt Canadian 2-Row $25.36
2way Split bag of MO $18.19
3way split of Crystal $13.78
sub-Total $57.32
Delivery surcharge $33.83 (?)
paypal fee $2.94
Total $91.15

Oh and for the $200 delivery fee you guys want me to just pick it up and deliver? :)

Order looks fine, price total seems off

CM-2ROW Canada Malt Canadian 2-Row $25.36
2way Split bag of MO $18.19
3way split of Crystal $13.78
sub-Total $57.32
Delivery surcharge $33.83 (?)
paypal fee $2.94
Total $91.15

Oh and for the $200 delivery fee you guys want me to just pick it up and deliver? :)

go back and see it now. my spreadsheet is short by a wopping $0.12. I think it's rounding errors on some of the bag prices (some are off a penney but I can't figure out why).

Everybody, check it out. I don't mind changing out people's individual whole bag orders. But having to modify the splits or add more split orders is kind of time consuming and prone to errors so I'd rather not. If everyone is OK with the spreadsheet and quote then we need to start the money transfer.

***EDIT: my brain hurts now.***

Im interested in a bag of two row if the price is right. I get them locally for 30 bucks.

Having been involved with this, I don't know how your LHBS can sell sacks at $30 and still make a profit. They must have some real old stock or something. I don't know...

Having been involved with this, I don't know how your LHBS can sell sacks at $30 and still make a profit. They must have some real old stock or something. I don't know...
+1 I want the name of that HBS

B&G sells it for $1.15+ a lb *55 lbs = $63.25. I understand it takes labor to divide the sacks and they have a brick and mortar to keep the lights on but there is $ to be made.

+1 I want the name of that HBS

B&G sells it for $1.15+ a lb *55 lbs = $63.25. I understand it takes labor to divide the sacks and they have a brick and mortar to keep the lights on but there is $ to be made.

Unless the HBS is a chain like the one in the Chicago area, I don't think they're buying 2000-2200 pounds at a time either. As you mentioned, there's overhead to cover too.

Brew & Grow Roselle offers 2 row bags for as low as $35 / 50lb or $38 / 55lb, and they've been running a "20% off your most expensive item" promo for some time. Add ~10% back in for taxes and you end up at about $31.50 / 50lb sack.

The rest of their grains, though, are $50-65 / 55lb sack.

Mike_A said:
Brew & Grow Roselle offers 2 row bags for as low as $35 / 50lb or $38 / 55lb, and they've been running a "20% off your most expensive item" promo for some time. Add ~10% back in for taxes and you end up at about $31.50 / 50lb sack.

True, but that's before taxes, right?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

I got some of B-N-G cheap Canadian grain a few times before and did not like it at all. It smelled stale and funky and had more bits of rock, debris, stalk material than any sack of grain I have ever purchased. It's because of what they sell that I stay away from Canadian grain. Sorry to any Canadians.;) But I love my beer too much to cheap out on the main ingredient. That’s why I am going with mostly Otter and Golden Promise it beats the hell out of the local prices or online. Hell the last order from I got online for 3 sacks and some cleaner was $191+ and their otter is only 40lb bags. Now I am getting 13 / 55LB sacks for under $500 and that make me happy! At these prices I am pondering someday selling bulk grain from home. That is if my liver doesn’t give out after I go crazy brewing with all this grain. :D

Thanks for the update on the spreadsheet :)

If those are final prices I'll go ahead and send you the money via paypal (as a gift, from paypal balance)

Let's make sure everybody is on board with the pricing before we start processing payments. Let's give it until Sunday. My paypal email address is the one I have already posted. If you're not sure ask Ace for my email. Please include your homebrewtalk user name so I know who is paying me. If you want to send a check or money order instead, send it to the address as it appears on the quote. Once everyone is paid up I will make the payment to the distributor via credit card. Thanks.

I don't get charged taxes on grain when purchased in Lake County... are you guys sure you're actually being charged taxes on raw grains and hops? IIRC they are under the same exemption clause as food.

I know I sound like a broken record but PLEASE check for errors on the spread sheet. Once payment has been sent we can't change it anymore. Thanks everyone.

I emailed Ace the link for him to PM everyone who is buying. Ask him for it.

bmason, I sent you a PM that I wanted to replace the CMC in my order with Best Malz Pale Wheat (BZ-WHT) but this is not reflected on the spreadsheet.

Also, can you please add a sack of Golden Promise (Fawcett) to my order? code is TF-GPRM. This is why I kept asking for the drop dead date... sorry about the late notice here but you guys seem to have accelerated the process.

That is my final order and aside from these issues, it looks correct on the main "Group Buy" sheet of the spreadsheet.

Sorry, I was busy with my first all-grain brew today. I've gotten around to responding to the PMs that were in my inbox. If anybody else needs anything, let me know.

How did the brew go? What did you make?

So can we send paypal payments yet? If I do a gift transfer from my bank account there is no fee right?

Paypal standing by, are we good to send payment now?

HUGE thanks to bmason and Ace for coordinating this.

Randar said:
bmason, I sent you a PM that I wanted to replace the CMC in my order with Best Malz Pale Wheat (BZ-WHT) but this is not reflected on the spreadsheet.

Also, can you please add a sack of Golden Promise (Fawcett) to my order? code is TF-GPRM. This is why I kept asking for the drop dead date... sorry about the late notice here but you guys seem to have accelerated the process.

That is my final order and aside from these issues, it looks correct on the main "Group Buy" sheet of the spreadsheet.

I'll update this later on this morning.

SathingtonWilloby said:
Late to the party here, but is it possible to add to the order still? I'd be in for two sacks if it's not too late.

We're at the 42 bag limit but go ahead and PM Ace with your order. He will send you the links. If we can't add two bags to the order into one pallet then I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the next buy. But I'll try to get you in.

We're at the 42 bag limit but go ahead and PM Ace with your order. He will send you the links. If we can't add two bags to the order into one pallet then I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the next buy. But I'll try to get you in.

PM sent. Thanks!

Randar, exactly which grain did you want to replace? Are you wanting to replace CM-WHET with BZ-WHT? I think this is what you meant but I want to confirm before changing. I had to delete your PM so I could make room for other PMs. Thanks.

And once again, PLEASE review spreadsheet. If all looks well then send in your payment. If using paypal make sure that you include your HBT username somewhere as a reference so I know who is paying me. Also, make sure that you, the buyer, pays for the transaction fees. I'm not so sure if paypal won't deduct their transaction fees if they notice that I'm getting all of these "gifts" at one time; or worse yet, freeze my account. If you want to send a check or preferably a money order (no waiting for it to clear) send it to the address that appears on the quote.

I can't think of anything else at this moment. If you have questions let me know. Many thanks to Ace for his immense help in getting this together. Let's do it!

And once again, PLEASE review spreadsheet. If all looks well then send in your payment. If using paypal make sure that you include your HBT username somewhere as a reference so I know who is paying me. Also, make sure that you, the buyer, pays for the transaction fees. I'm not so sure if paypal won't deduct their transaction fees if they notice that I'm getting all of these "gifts" at one time; or worse yet, freeze my account. If you want to send a check or preferably a money order (no waiting for it to clear) send it to the address that appears on the quote.

I can't think of anything else at this moment. If you have questions let me know. Many thanks to Ace for his immense help in getting this together. Let's do it!

Better yet, send Ace your paypal emal addresses and he'll forward it to me. I can then set you up to request money from you without fees. See link below:

https://personal.paypal.com/cgi-bin...ntent_ID=marketing_us/request_money&nav=0.3.0

I'm not sure if making paypal payments without incurring fees is going to be possible. So please pay the fees for your own transfer. Thanks.

I'm a noob and have never just paid someone money over PayPal, via straight payment or gift. So, I'll email Ace my paypal email address and go from there. If there's other steps I need to take, I could use a nudge in the right direction.

wegz15 has the honor of being the first person to submit payment. Thank you, wegz! we're moving forward.

Latest posts

Back