Group Buy in Chicago #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go half on simcoe and split half of citra if you haven't ordered yet

I can pi k up Friday around 430. I can also grab starman and satherbys. Let me know guys I can drop off on my way home Friday night.

Evillive

I can save you a trip I'm taking my truck to pick up as I have a good sized order and you can pick up in Munster; I'm right by the hospital on Calumet. A couple extra bags wont hurt me.

Let me know.
(And I am assuming a Friday delivery and pick-up, I get off at 2pm and am half way downtown from my office)

That would work, except I was hoping to grab 2 cornies if he still had any left.

inverted said:
I can pi k up Friday around 430. I can also grab starman and satherbys. Let me know guys I can drop off on my way home Friday night.

Sounds good to me. I can meet you right off the Randall Rd exit of 90 to make it easier if that's the way you'll be heading home. I can throw you a few bucks for gas, or pay you in beer.

Bill, what are the appropriate hours for pickup? if delivery happend on Thursday can we also pickup on the same day?

I ordered 4 pounds of simcoe and 4 centennial. Should ship out tomorrow. I work all day friday.

SathingtonWilloby said:
Sounds good to me. I can meet you right off the Randall Rd exit of 90 to make it easier if that's the way you'll be heading home. I can throw you a few bucks for gas, or pay you in beer.

That's fine I take 90 home so where ever you want to meet is fine. You can pm your number so I can call when on my way. As far a payment just pay it forward. Cheers

Bill, what are the appropriate hours for pickup? if delivery happend on Thursday can we also pickup on the same day?

same day pick up may be possible. it really depends on what time the grain arrives. if it gets in late in the afternoon then I'll have to say no. timing is everything. let's play it by ear.

okidok, anyway i will pickup Thursday or Friday evenings, if Thursday will work i will brew on Friday night if i have to wait till Friday for pickup then i will try to use the grains on Sunday if wife allows

okidok, anyway i will pickup Thursday or Friday evenings, if Thursday will work i will brew on Friday night if i have to wait till Friday for pickup then i will try to use the grains on Sunday if wife allows

i'll keep you and everyone else informed.

i need to brew a double batch of ipa, lager, maybe a single batch of whitbier. a heffeweizen...so many beers so little time and grain. <sigh>

yea feel the same, specially about time, i want to make another 10gal of triple and reuse yeast im fermenting with right now then there is DIPA, hefe, seison, stout ect, i decide to brew only 10gal batches this year because i dont have time to brew 5gal every 2-3 weeks

How do the others feel about the Simcoe? We would just need one person to split with Inverted.

Wegz how much was shipping?

As far as beer plans go I am planning anywhere from 10-15 batches this spring/summer just racking on top of yeast non stop between Belgian and American ales, I will be in beer heaven.

OK, here's the latest on this group buy. I had forgotten to include djohn's two 32 ounce containers in the original RFQ. When I asked them to be included I was told that they couldn't without adding an additional pallet charge. I asked her twice and she wont budge. So I will refund djohn's money for the starsan.

Also, the oak honeycombs cannot be added for the same reason, which I will also refund. It makes no sense to me either but I'm not going to argue it anymore. Below is the email from the distributor:

"I made the revisions for the grains as the total count did not change. I was not able to add the extra starsan or the white oak honeycombs. As I stated before your three pallets are already over the max and I cannot add anything else with out adding an additional pallet and expense to this order.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed. Leave these off, or add another pallet and pallet charge to this order."

Shipping on the 8 lbs of hops was 14.63. I am waiting to see who else is willing to split their simcoe. Inverted said he would, but he also said he would take half a pound of citra. I placed the order prior to him posting this. I wanted to order before we lost another pound of simcoe.

bmason1623 said:
OK, here's the latest on this group buy. I had forgotten to include djohn's two 32 ounce containers in the original RFQ. When I asked them to be included I was told that they couldn't without adding an additional pallet charge. I asked her twice and she wont budge. So I will refund djohn's money for the starsan.

Also, the oak honeycombs cannot be added for the same reason, which I will also refund. It makes no sense to me either but I'm not going to argue it anymore. Below is the email from the distributor:

"I made the revisions for the grains as the total count did not change. I was not able to add the extra starsan or the white oak honeycombs. As I stated before your three pallets are already over the max and I cannot add anything else with out adding an additional pallet and expense to this order.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed. Leave these off, or add another pallet and pallet charge to this order."

Looks like it's a liability issue, if 4 pack of starsan fall on ur foot when unloading u cold sue them :)

i just realized with all this grain coming up and slow turnover on belgian beers i should get 1-2 more carboys
What do you guys use glass carboys, bb or buckets?

I use buckets and glass and haven't noticed a difference between the two, though I bulk age in the glass to be safe. Buckets are nice for easier cleaning and less of a chance breaking, also for dry hopping and reusing yeast they're much easier. You could always keep your ferm times to a minimum in plastic and condition in bottles (if you bottle) or throw out all that plastic hating nonsense and go with buckets anyway.

i just realized with all this grain coming up and slow turnover on belgian beers i should get 1-2 more carboys
What do you guys use glass carboys, bb or buckets?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/super-simple-15g-plastic-conical-276378/

Plastic.... I actually use both but I have two 30Gal versions of the above, one for session beer runs and one for long ferm belgian styles... generally I only use the Glass carboys when Im trying a new yeast so I can monitor it's fermentation behaviour and flocculation, (heavy empty & I drink alot - safety concerns) But use whatever you have the space and funds for, you'll likely find even weighted pro's and cons for both.

i used both buckets and glass carboys but after listening to podcast (i think basic brewing radio) where they did blind triangle test with same beer fermented in plastic bucket and glass carboy and ppl were able to recognize the odd beer, they never said it was bad just noticeable i started fermenting in glass only but now with 5 carboys im one short for next weekend brew, maybe i will do my own test and split 10 gal batch to glass/plastic

I've used Better Bottles since I've started (not including that initial flirtation with the Mr. Beer barrels :drunk:) and love them. I've been wary of glass due to the weight, breakability, and the small, but not insignificant chance of injury should one break on me. Better Bottles are light, easy to clean, and not that expensive should one need replacing. I've got a 3 gal for small batch, a 5 gal for secondarying/dy hopping, and a handful of 6.5's for primary.

the spreadsheet has the link for the revised quote. I'll phone the order in on Monday and probably will ask for Thursday delivery.

EDIT: Am I reading the revised quote incorrectly or are the white oak honeycombs included on the quote?

i can also see it there, nice
im excited for next weekend already, never had so much grain to brew with, thanks guys for organizing this :)

The hops spreadsheet has been adjusted to show the splits and added shipping cost. Please make arrangements to pay.

Thanks bill for all you have done depending on flight I catch home I can help with what ever about 4:30 on Friday.

I hope the weather is as nice next week during the pick up days as it is this weekend. I could have the pallets of grain outside in the lot next to me where people could drive in, pick up, sign off and be on their merry way home to brew.

can I get an idea of who is interested in buying cornies from me when they stop by to pick up their grain? I have 10 left and am debating if I should secure some more this week or not. Please let me know. Thanks.

How much each? I'm debating about switching to ball lock. They are taller and skinnier so I would be able to fit more in kegorator.

My assistant brewer

IMAG0493.jpg

bmason1623 said:
can I get an idea of who is interested in buying cornies from me when they stop by to pick up their grain? I have 10 left and am debating if I should secure some more this week or not. Please let me know. Thanks.

Bill, I was interested in getting 2 kegs, but was gonna play it by ear. I have a check in the mail, don't know if I'll get it in time. I wouldn't want u to get stuck with more than u need, so if any are left, & I get $ in time, I will take 2. If not, no biggie. :)

Well my schedule got all messed up with sick wife. Will not be able to pick up Friday now. Saturday early afternoon should work now if that's ok. Will still be able to deliver to willoby but on Saturday now. Also wegz I might pick up hops and Vienna from bills if that's ok with everybody.

inverted said:
Well my schedule got all messed up with sick wife. Will not be able to pick up Friday now. Saturday early afternoon should work now if that's ok. Will still be able to deliver to willoby but on Saturday now. Also wegz I might pick up hops and Vienna from bills if that's ok with everybody.

Not a problem for me. If for some reason you can't make it to pick up on Saturday, I can probably drive in sometime this weekend and do it. Then I could at least get your grain closer to you. Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back