Groennfell & Havoc Mead... Bile..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I ordered a 4 pack of 10 different flavors from Groennfell & Havoc, the very first can I opened (Valkyrie's Choice) smelled and tasted like bile.. straight up vomit šŸ¤¢
The other 3 flavors I have tried since have all been fine.
I expect anything commercial to not be as good as home made, but that was horrible..
Just curious if anyone else has tried that company and/or that flavor in particular and did you have the same experience, or did I get a bad batch or something? šŸ˜¬

Hey guys,
So I ordered a 4 pack of 10 different flavors from Groennfell & Havoc, the very first can I opened (Valkyrie's Choice) smelled and tasted like bile.. straight up vomit šŸ¤¢
The other 3 flavors I have tried since have all been fine.
I expect anything commercial to not be as good as home made, but that was horrible..
Just curious if anyone else has tried that company and/or that flavor in particular and did you have the same experience, or did I get a bad batch or something? šŸ˜¬
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your first one you tried by them.
I live only a few hours drive from there & still have not tried them. Since I started making mead almost a year ago, I have a hard time justifying buying mead, (especially when I can make it for 1/3 the price of what it costs to buy someone else's). Sure, I may not have the experience, but, I've learned a ton about the craft & I've made some pretty awesome meads so far. That's not to say I wouldn't be willing to try it, just happier to save the money for honey to make some of my own.

If a wine or mead tastes like vomit that sounds like there is butyric acid contamination. I imagine that Groennfell would want to know and if I were you I would write or call them.

If a wine or mead tastes like vomit that sounds like there is butyric acid contamination. I imagine that Groennfell would want to know and if I were you I would write or call them.
That's kind of what I was wondering. I've never had that problem, but I figured there had to be some kind of cause for it.

I would definitely say there was something wrong with that batch. I have ordered many of their flavors, including that one, and never had that experience. They would definitely want to know so I would agree that you should tell them. Also, fun fact, they have a lot of their recipes posted on their website so you can replicate your favorites.

It isn't a common fault in mead, especially in a traditional. Cider can suffer from this if rotten apples were in the pressing. I had a cider that I entered in a comp get dinged for baby vomit, though nobody who drank it at home could detect it. I agree that Groennfell would want to know, and I'm really surprised that they let anything like that out of the meadery. Makes me wonder about their quality control.

I sent an email and they got back to me asap, offered a replacement and asked for the batch code on the can. Hopefully they can pinpoint the problem

I'm sure they were glad to get that info from you. I attempted to order from them awhile back and turned out that they don't ship to NC. I was incredibly disappointed as I like to have commercial meads to compare mine too and there is only one local to me.

Latest posts

Back