Grill for heat source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfd73

Reaction score
Anyone ever use their BBQ grill to bring their wort to a boil? My brother in law did this last night and seemed to work OK. He has a glass stovetop and it couldn't bring 3 gal of water to a boil, it was late and nothing was open, so he used his grill. He's going to buy a burner to use next time

I have a hard time imagining that most grills would work that great. Although I've seen a few that may.

I know for damn sure my grill wouldnt even start to bring a full 5 gal batch to a boil.

It wasn't a full 5 gal boil. He was doing an extract. I will post pics as soon as I hit the 25 post mark

Here are the pics... It did the job though!

29424_754836923762_17112337_41049198_2395643_n.jpg

29424_754836903802_17112337_41049197_4630171_n.jpg

I have an old bbq grill that I use to manage my sparge water... I can't imagine trying to bring 5 gallons of water to a boil on it though... :)

Ha hA hA! That's fricken awesome! At the beginning of the thread I was picturing a gas grill and then scrolled down to the charcoal inferno. Of course it worked. That's how they used to do it in the old days. I wonder if the beer will be smokey at all. Mad props for that. Did the coals keep it going for a full hour?

I used real wood charcoal and the smoke was minimal and not much of that typical charcoal grilling smell. We actually had to add coals halfway through the boil lol but it got the job done!

Yeah we got started at 8 p.m. and after all the problems we finally got done around 2 in the morning!

Wow. I would bet that 80% of us envisioned the side burner on a gas grill when we read the post the first time! You should have thrown on a brisket! Woo hoo!

Wow. I would bet that 80% of us envisioned the side burner on a gas grill when we read the post the first time! You should have thrown on a brisket! Woo hoo!

Believe me we thought about picking up some steaks when we got the charcoal but I figured my attention should be on the beer since it was my first time lol.

That rocks! I may have to try that just for kicks! Charbroiled Stout anyone?

Back