Grian Bill - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
Hi,

Gonna brew this soon!

12lb 2-row
2lb Munich
1lb Caramel 60
.5lb Victory
.4lb Carapils

I have done an IPA before with 1/2lb of biscuit in it. Is that amount of victory good? or should I put more? What would the flavour be if I added more? Good or Bad?

Thanks

Victory and biscuit are the same so if you liked 0.5 of biscuit you're good to go with the Victory. I think I'd drop the carapils personally since you will get lots of mouthfeel from the crystal, but that's just me.

I think you've got a pretty solid grainbill there...but...since you asked, I would up the victory to a full pound and +1 on dropping the carapils. You should get plenty of body with most IPA grainbills and certainly with this one. As a matter of fact, I've never really understood the fascination with carapils. Why not just use a touch of wheat or mash higher?:mug:

12lb 2-row
2lb Munich
1lb Caramel 60
.5lb Victory
.4lb Carapils

You didn't list your efficiency, for me that would be a double IPA.

I'd switch it around to

12# 2-row
2# Munich
1# Victory
1/2# C60

Mash low... like maybe 149, for 75-90 minutes, and pitch plenty of yeast so it attenuates properly. I'm thinking PacMan for my IPA since it ferments really dry.

With that much grain I would aim for at least 80 IBUs. If you decide to go lower on the IBUs scale down the Victory accordingly. It's pretty strong stuff.

You didn't list your efficiency, for me that would be a double IPA.

I'd switch it around to

12# 2-row
2# Munich
1# Victory
1/2# C60

Mash low... like maybe 149, for 75-90 minutes, and pitch plenty of yeast so it attenuates properly. I'm thinking PacMan for my IPA since it ferments really dry.

With that much grain I would aim for at least 80 IBUs.

Sorry. Eff. is usually around 70% give or take. I did revisit the recipe since posting and dropped the 2 row to 10# instead. Last brew I got 73% and that was without the new BC that I just got. 70% gives me about 1.062. That way if I overshoot I am still within an IPA range. Going to have about 65 IBU's. Maybe I should try upping the Victory to really get to know the taste!

Thanks

Sorry. Eff. is usually around 70% give or take. I did revisit the recipe since posting and dropped the 2 row to 10# instead. Last brew I got 73% and that was without the new BC that I just got. 70% gives me about 1.062. That way if I overshoot I am still within an IPA range. Going to have about 65 IBU's. Maybe I should try upping the Victory to really get to know the taste!
Thanks

Victory is similar to Biscuit, it gives a strong biscuits/toasty malt flavor which really comes through even with all the hops. I like the effect, if you check my dropdown you will see I used it in my house pale which as I noted in the thread I will probably make into my house IPA to better balance the biscuit flavor. :)

What hops are you gonna use? IMO the hop schedule makes an IPA - not neccessarily the grain bill.

mix of pearle&galena(leftovers) 60mins 45 IBUS

1oz Cascade 20min
.5oz Cascade 15min
.5oz " 10min
.5oz " 5min

1oz Cascade Dry hop

Latest posts

Back