Greyish Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankiesurf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter last night.

It was WLP001 with Light DME. The yeast has started to flocculate but at the bottom of my growler the yeast is a greyish color with tan stuff on top.

Is this normal? All of the yeast that I have ever seen was tan in color.

all the yeast I've ever seen I'd categorize as white-ish, sitting in a tan solution.
Grey - no, that doesn't really sound good - what color was it when you poured it into your starter? What does it smell like?

It was tannish when I poured it in. It did have a stringy like quality at the top of the yeast in the vial.

Not sure I can really describe the smell. It does small yeasty but with a slightly sour smell.

I sanitized everything I used.

I used my brain a little bit and called White Labs. They said that yeast can have different colors and if there is a good amount of yeast on the bottom and it seems like it had good growth then I should be fine.

It has been in the growler since about 6 last evening and has about 1/4 inch or so at the bottom. I am assuming this is normal.

Latest posts

Back