Greetings from NYC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potatosalad

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was wandering through the Whole Foods store on the Bowery when I noticed they had an entire section of the store committed to beer. I rejoiced, as I love beer. In addition to a wonderful selection of beers, they also stocked homebrew equipment. I thought, hell I can do this. So, I bought a 1 gallon kit and away I went. I'm now 3 batches in and I'm already itching to upgrade my equipment and start brewing for real! :fro:

How's it going fellow NYC'er? Did you pick up a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit? That's currently what I've been brewing with.

Yup, I picked up a Brooklyn Brew Shop Kit. It was a nice introduction to brewing. But paying $15 for a 1 gallon kit is outrageous. Especially when you can buy 5 gallon recipe kits for like $25 online. I'm trying to upgrade to a 5 gallon set up now.

I just ordered an 8 gallon stock pot! Goodbye 1 gallon brewing!!!

Now, what should I use this 1 gallon glass carboy for? Hard Cider?

If you're looking for a great LHBS in NYC, I'm a big fan of Brooklyn Homebrew (http://www.brooklyn-homebrew.com/Brooklyn_Homebrew/Home.html). They've got a great selection of stuff, and they have really good (and cheap - usually about $30, though you need to buy yeast separately) kits for when you decide to step up to partial mash (they don't have any all-extract kits, but they're really good about helping you put recipes together). The owners also happen to be super nice, which is always a plus.

From one NY brewer to another, welcome to the obsession!

^^ Great to hear, I was just searching for a local place to shop (rather than ordering online) and was planning on stopping by this weekend.

Back