Greetings from Central PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeble

Reaction score
Well I figured I would become more active on this forum than just reading threads and asking random questions every once in a while.

My names Jared, I am 24 years old, and I am a bar manager at a local restaurant in Columbia, PA

A little background on my homebrewing experience.

I received a basic homebrew kit from my father for christmas last year, and have since been completely addicted, which I am sure most of you know what that is like.

I brewed 3 kits originally, 2 of which I ordered online, one of which came with my homebrew setup.

I did an IPA in january, which turned out mediocre. I then did a belgian wit kit in February which was better than the IPA in my opinion. For the third, I decided to try a scottish ale in March, which turned out so god awful that I threw out all of the beer after trying 3 bottles, assuming that the other 2 after the first would taste better. Low and behold, they didn't.

After that experience with the Scottish Ale, I put off brewing again until mid May. During that time, I read a lot of books pertaining to brewing, and recipe formulation.

I decided to try again in the middle of May with a version of a clone brew recipe that I found in, of course, Clone Brews. I took that base recipe and added another lb of extra light DME. I bought all of my ingredients individually from the local homebrew store.

It turned out absolutely amazing, and at this point I started kegging my beer because of the obvious reasons. This is what really got me into brewing frequently and abstractly. I figured I would take base recipes, add and tweak the ingredients to my liking and to complete my objective for that beer, and for the most part they have turned out how I have wanted.

In august of this year, I started the online concise course from Siebel Institute. At the end of September, I started doing all grain brewing

I have currently done 8 all grain beers since then, and a total, as of today, marking my 25th beer since May.

I brew 5 gallon batches at this point, because I am always trying new recipes. I currently have only duplicated one, and that was a partial, and it was almost completely identical to the first one.

I brew in a secondary kitchen in the restaurant I manage. I have 8 corny kegs, 3 6.5 gallon fermenters, 1 5.5 gallon better bottle fermenter, and the original 5 gallon bucket. I use a 12 gallon stainless steel brewpot for boiling. I also have my own mash tun I made from parts listed to me off of this site, and a 5 gallon Igloo cooler.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you for having this site. It has helped me tremendously.

Here is a recipe for a Honey Weizen I brewed today, if you have any critiques or thoughts on it, feel free to post them up, I am always ready to learn more.

Honey Sweet Wheat
6.75lbs german wheat malt
4lbs british 2 row pale
6oz Crystal 60
2oz Gambrinus honey

Mash in was at 123 degrees, decocted to 152 after 30 minutes, sat at 152 for another 45 minutes

1lb table sugar at 60 min (i always make bigger beers than the usual style guidlines)
1 oz hallertauer hersbrucker leaf at 60 min
1 lb Honey at 10 minutes

Fermented with a weinenstephaner yeast at what I hope to be 69-70 degrees, the basement temp at my restaurant is about 65, so I wrapped the fermenter in a blanket in hopes of getting that extra 3-5 degrees

OG came out to 1.073, which was higher than I was expecting, I guess I got more than 65 percent efficiency this time, which is on average what I normally get out of my setup

Hello and welcome! I am in PA as well as quite a few others from here and surrounding states.

Sounds like you're well into!

Welcome, and way to stick with it after the early failures. Took a while for it to "click" for me as well.

Back