Greetings from Ann Arbor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningInABottle

Reaction score
I found this forum because I was looking up recipes for mead and found it to be a great resource! I now have 3 batches of mead in the primary. I started with one gallon of JAOM and quickly read up on what I need to make 5 gallon batches. I bought some equipment and I now have 2 five gallon batches in the primary fermenter! Boo-berry (a blueberry melomel) and AppleJacked (apple/cinnamon cyser). :ban: anass!

My name is Pat and I am addicted to home fermenting! :mug:

Cool. Welcome. I have never made mead, but certainly I am interested. This website is full of great stuff to explore. Have fun!

I' m also interested in Ciders, but got sucked into making my own mead because so many friends make theirs with good results. I got paid in mead for fixing somebodies computer and decided to look up how hard it would be to make my own. I found a recipe for JAOM which you can make from stuff at the grocery store. It worked! I can't believe I didn't get into this sooner :D

I used to live right by Wiards Orchards and have been thinking about making a cider from some of their apples. I guess that'll have to wait though as I am away for school until January.

After reading about the possible longevity of mead I thought about making some. I think it would be cool to create a monster that you can taste once a year for 20 some years...

My first 5 gallon batches were meant to be monsters. High ABV, I'm hoping for 16-18% range. It might take a little while for them to mellow out, but I can wait. I'm also going to ice filter about a gallon from each of my batches to see what comes out of that. Honey and alcohol are great perservative. If you would like to try some mead before you make some try picking up some Chaucers or B Nektar from Hillards when you get back to AA. :mug:

Haha I went to Arizona State and Western Michigan Universities so I'm a Sun Devil and a Bronco. :) With that being said happiness is crushing buckeye nuts or so I'm told. Would buckeye nuts make a good brew or are the poisonous or something?

Ummm...poisonous. Seriously though welcome to the forum and good luck with Joe's mead. The first time I came across that recipe, it was on another forum and that thread went on for over 1000 pages. That is a nice intro to mead. I think you'll really like it. I'm about to make my 4th or 5th batch this coming week.

I found it on stormthecastle.com after getting paid in mead for fixing someones computer. I just racked it off into the secondary. It smells like a mix of beer, then bread and oranges. Now to just give it some time to clear.

I guess nut oil doens't work so well in the fermentation process. I don't see any posts where people use nuts. The one post I saw where the guy used almond oil extract his fermentation stopped.

I would think the best way to add that sort of flavoring would be at bottling, but as I have not done it before, I really don't know.

Greetings! A friend of mine lives down that way and works in AA. (Ann Arbor, not Alcoholics Anonymous...)

He's supposed to be joining the site, but so far has not done it. I thought the brewday we went to would finally push him over the edge, and he did promise several people he would be on, but I guess it was just the beer talking. I better pick on him some more.

Anyway, good to see you here! AA is a lovely place.

Back