Green Wine/Fusels = Headache????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I was sampling 3 of my wines last night and had maybe a half glass of each (as much as it takes to fill up the tube for SG testing). I had a Cherry Wine 6 months old, Barbera 2 months old, and Blackberry 1 month old.

Anyway this morning I had a pretty decent headache, and that is not normal for me drinking that amount. I could be non-wine related I'm sure, but it felt like a hangover headache.
Has anyone had issues with green wine causing headaches?

The Barbera actually had some serious issues during fermentation (temp got up to 100 degrees!!!!!) After doing some research they might have lead to some fusel build up in the wine, or maybe since I had some minor Sulphur Dioxide issues, but those went away pretty fast. Is there a way to eliminate fusel affects, if that is what the problem is? Just curious if I should trash the batch before I put more time into it.

100 degrees is pretty warm for a wine ferment, could be unpredictable results. I don't think it should cause any health issues, but off flavours would be likely. If the wine was fermented with skins you would have a lot of extraction and bitter tannins which would take years to age to a decent level. Whether to keep or chuck is something for you to decide - this is where you have to be the winemaker.

Back