Green Scouring Pads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_bran321

Reaction score
Does anyone use them to get rid of tough to get residue in boil kettle post brew day?
I'm wiery of what it might leave behind.

I use one step cleaner and a normal sponge and it just doesn't get it as clean as id like

Is there a difference between green a blue? Or any other color?
We have the blue ones for the sink and I scrub the crap out of the kettle. Would you not scrub a spaghetti pot with a green sponge? Brew kettle is the same thing used for a different purpose

For getting stainless steel kettles totally bright again, it's hard to beat Bar Keeper's Friend powder made into a thin paste and scouring with a stiff sponge...

Cheers!

I use PBW for cleaning. Here's an interesting thing: if you use just fairly warm water (say up to 110 degrees or so), it doesn't work very well.

But if you use 160-degree water and let it soak, that stainless will come out shining. Now, you need to use a fair amount of PBW to do that, but every once in a while I'll bite the bullet, fill the BK to the top, heat it up to 160, and add the PBW.

I think mostly when people struggle getting PBW to get things clean, they simply don't use hot enough water.

I use the white scotch brite pads 90% (with barkeepers friend) of the time, and reserve a green and brown for the more stubborn stuff.

i use them to clean the inside of my SS unitank and my blichmann g2 BK. it may mess with the stainless “brushed” look so i wouldn’t recommend it on the outside for aesthetic purposes, but i couldn’t care less about that on the inside.

For getting stainless steel kettles totally bright again, it's hard to beat Bar Keeper's Friend powder made into a thin paste and scouring with a stiff sponge...

Cheers!

This ^^^ with the green scrub pads then rinse and dry well. Also great on the outside of your kettles and SS kitchen pots and pans.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm gonna have to get some bar keepers friend.

I do a 160-170degree Oxiclean filled soak in my Boil Kettle after every brew session, and everything cleans up wonderfully. Quick rinse afterwards, and its beautiful. For the outside of my kettles, just to keep them pretty, i use barkeepers fried liquid, and a rag

Back