Green ESB beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of my first brew, a clone of Fullers ESB.

I had it in the primary for 8 days (hit FG), 2 weeks in the secondary where I dry hopped for the last 5 days.

It's been bottled for almost four weeks and had plenty of carb, it just tastes a little bitter or something. I can't quite put my finger. Would you consider this style of beer young for its age?

Just curious if it will get better in a month or two?

Thx.

It could be any number of things--type of hops comes to mind. What are your recipe, procedures and temperatures?

I don't have the recipe handy but it was a fairly standard extract kit with DME, crushed specialty grains, a few minor hop additions as well a some hops to dry hop with.

It had a 2.5 gal boil for 60 minutes (may have went more like 90 because of electric stove).

Other than the long boil everything went pretty smoothly.

That's why I'm hoping its just a little green and needs more aging time.

What do think?

You're giving us not much to go on. If you dry hopped with Fuggles, I've found it takes a little longer to mellow out, but that beer is not too green. Can you give us more detail on hops and what you're tasting?

what yeast was it? i believe its 1968/002 that's notorious for an odd-flavor when bottle conditioning

dcp27 said:
what yeast was it? i believe its 1968/002 that's notorious for an odd-flavor when bottle conditioning

Really? I bottle condition everything, 1968 is one of my go to strains and have never had any issues with it!

You'll get more hop utilization out of a 90 minute boil than a 60 minute boil. That will up the IBUs a little.

I brewed a Fullers ESB clone with 1968 recently and just kicked the keg. It really took about two months to reach its peak. Just give it some more time.

Basically we need the recipe and hop additions, personally I'm confused as an ESB is supposed to be bitter, hence the 'B' in the ESB.....

dcp27 said:
i love the yeast too, and i've only ever kegged with it so i've never experienced it personally, but this issue is mentioned quite a few quite a few times in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/british-yeasts-fermentation-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/#post2601883

I've read that thread and basically it comes down to issues you can have with any strain of yeast.

If you don't ferment it properly it will not do what you want.

There is more to yeast than just pitch it!

I've read that thread and basically it comes down to issues you can have with any strain of yeast.

If you don't ferment it properly it will not do what you want.

There is more to yeast than just pitch it!

where did you get that? nothing I've seen in that thread points to improper fermentation being the issue.

where did you get that? nothing I've seen in that thread points to improper fermentation being the issue.

It has been quite a while since I read that thread previously I did go back and skim through it again although admittedly I had no desire to read through 51 pages of a thread that started 5 years ago...............

I am aware that it has been mentioned that some people have had weird issues bottling with 1968, personally I am inclined to believe it has more to do with the process than the bottle conditioning.

This is a yeast that I use quite a bit of, make appropriate starters, pitch cold and allow to self rise to 63 and hold for a few days and as fermentation slows I ramp up to 68 to finish. I do not keg and bottle condition all my beer with the proper amount of priming sugar. I have never had any issues with attenuation or off flavors being produced in any style I have used this yeast with.

I use this yeast for my house IPA and Pale ale as well as some other IPA's and Pales I brew occasionally. In all I harvest and have a constant supply on hand. All have placed medals in BJCP competitions and I have never received any comments pertaining to anything associated with the yeast.

My point is that some strains of yeast require a little more process than others such as pitching cold, self rising, proper starters, raising to finish, etc and if the work is not by the brewer the yeast may not perform the way it is intended or produce flavors that are not desireable

Back