Green Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch. When I tapped the first keg, beer had an after taste and was cloudy. Its an aftertaste that alot of my light beers have. I assume was green, I did start drinking it two days after carbing. As I get towards the bottom of the first keg, the after taste is gone, and beer is crystal clear. Its twin has been sitting in the keggerator for around a month now on serving pressure gas. Is it going to taste and look as the end of of the first keg did?

I doubt it. I do the let it sit and carb approach instead of the jack it up and rock it to death one... so most of my beers sit in the keezer for a good 1-2 weeks before I bother with them. I find that after 3 to 4 weeks they really start to taste different and when I get close to the bottom they really are excellent. I think the more you let it sit on the carb the better it is IMO but I can't let mine sit too long, heck, 2 weeks is a long wait sometimes as it is.

2 days? Of course it doesn't taste right. What you are drinking on the last day is what you should be tasting on the first day. Patience is a brewers best friend.

2 days? Of course it doesn't taste right. What you are drinking on the last day is what you should be tasting on the first day. Patience is a brewers best friend.

So when I hook the second keg up it should be exactly as the end of the first one?. We may find out tonight, on my second pint, cant be more than one left in it.

I got the recipie from here somewhere. I think the owner called in lawnmower blonde.

This may be the last pull off of keg one. Ill compare it to keg two when I get into it.

1412642685945.jpg

I cold crash, set PSI to 30, and pull the tap after 24-48 hours. A week is usually best (not at 30 PSI!) I did the shake thing a few times, and it seemed to affect the flavor in a negative way. Mmm... I love fresh (green?) beer!

Try as I might, I cant kill this damn keg, three pints and Im off to bed. Tomorrow is 100% testosterone day. After work, kill this keg, tap new one, take starter off of stir plate, chill and prep for the step up, and process deer killed this weekend. Hell, may do it all in my underwear to top it off.

I've noticed if I drink the keg within a week after kegging that it tastes bitter and the flavors haven't melded together yet. I believe this is carbonic acid that gives it the bitterness and off flavor. After about 2 weeks all my beers are good and great at 3 weeks. My pale ale just hit 6 weeks and lost all of its hoppiness though. It's fascinating to see how your beers change over time. That pale ale was fantastic last week. Now it's meh.

Update, the first pint off of the second keg was as good and clear as the last beer off of the first keg. Ive learned alot regarding patience doing this 10 gallon brew. Three weeks in the keg does a beer good.

Latest posts

Back