green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I open a coopers lager that i bottled 5 days ago. My first batch ever i just couldn't wait to take a sample. The beer was slightly carbed a light hisss when i took off the cap. But it smelled sweet and tastes almost like a sweet green apple taste. Is this infection? I know its probaly not but i'm still worried none the less. Is this just the taste of green beer that i'v been reading about? Does anyone know how to describe the taste of green beer? Thats one of the reasons i opened it cause i want to know how green beer taste. And also how it taste after time to condition. I'm just woundering if anyone has come across a similar taste when opening a bottle early? Thanks all

I'm just woundering if anyone has come across a similar taste when opening a bottle early? Thanks all

Yes, every new brewer who opens the beer early and starts a thread like this. ;) You just described the most common descriptor for green beer.

Any flavor that you're not satisyfied with that dissapears after the beer is fully carbed and conditioned is an example of green beer, but acetylaldehyde (green apple) taste is one of the most common.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

EPS- side question if you don't mind. Ive also just started brewing. I've got the lager that came with my coopers kit in primary now. It's been in 4 days.

I was wondering how much activity you saw from your airlock?

I know mine has outward pressure because I can see the water level move from time to time however so far I have seen no bubbles. I took a gravity reading and it seems to be working...I just expected more visible activity.

Thanks!

Visible airlock activity =/= fermentation. Generally I've seen with my brews that the first 24-40 hours will show a vigorous fermentation but then it will settle down. However, through gravity readings I've also observed that it will continue to ferment as long as 10 days, though it's better to let it sit for at least 14 days if not longer.

I saw bubbling in my airlock after about 16 hours and it bubbled for almost 3 days then stopped. The beer was very cloudy after the 6-7 days in the primary that cooper recomends. So i left it in there for 18 days and it cleared up nice i just bottled 5 days ago. You may have a leak somewhere the airlock not bubbling doesn't mean your beer isn't fermenting. Its hust a valve to release co2 gas i'v been reading it very unreliable to determine weather your beer is or isn't fermenting. The only sure way to tell if its fermenting is a hydrometer and if you took a reading and it said its working it is. The main thing i'v learned so far is you have to be patient witch sucks when your a new brewer like us. Sound like everything is going perfect for your brew good luck bre. CHEERS

Latest posts

Back