Green beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
O.K. bear with me I am curious about a thread I read. Someone gave another advice not to serve his apfelwein to early or all his guests would go home with headaches.

Is there a science behind green beer or in this case green cider giving extra doses of pain in the head.

I don't know about green beer (or wine) causing headaches, but I've heard that it causes some unpleasant intestional issues. For people accustomed to "live beer", it's probably not a real issue. But for non-homebrew drinkers, giving them green beer might be like spiking their drinks with ex-lax.

So someone who is used to live beer or wine there should be no diff with drinking it as soon as it is done fermenting or 4 months down the road? Besides the taste, just speaking of the physical effects.

One cause of headaches is supposed to be fusel or higher alcohols caused by fermentation temps being too high. I don't think these alcohols subside with age, so I don't see how that relates to green beer. Green beer might have more yeast still in suspension which can cause intestinal issues in individuals not acclimated to homebrew or commercial bottle-conditioned beer, but other than that, I don't know of any physiological responses to "young" beer.

This is sort of an offshoot but it seems like this thread may be able to answer my question...

Brewed a malt and apple beer (im a NEWB) which has a weird Plastic? aftertaste and I think gives me a slight headache (although that could have been placebo effect) Sounds kinda like this whole thing with green beer and fusels (higher alcohols)

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

My guess is a secondary problem. You need to let any brew stay in the secondary until all the 'ex lax' settles out, then bottle/keg.

Loquats work better than an apple a day. Yet copious quantities of the wine caused no ill effects.

I always thought that if there was a high amount of sugar you would get a pretty bad head ache. So maybe if you are drinking green apfelwein all of the sugar hasn't been consumed by the yeasties yet. But I'm no expert :)

I always thought that if there was a high amount of sugar you would get a pretty bad head ache. So maybe if you are drinking green apfelwein all of the sugar hasn't been consumed by the yeasties yet. But I'm no expert :)

If you're drinking a dry beverage (like wine or apfelwein) there isn't any sugar to speak of. It's the alcohol, and in high temperature fermentations, you'll get more fusel alcohols which will give you a rip roaring headache and/or hangover.

I NEVER get hangovers from homebrew. I drink quite a number of beers and never a headache. Two commercial beers, though, and I could be in trouble.

Back