Great way to hold PM mash temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
I just brewed my 3rd and 4th batches last weekend. They were also my first Partial Mashes ( A Strong Dark Belgian and a Raspberry Cream Ale).
My oven doesn't have a warm setting, so I bought a Coleman 75 qt. cooler that was big enought to put my 5 gallon stock pot into. I first put a bunch of towels and a blanket in the dryer on high heat for about 10 minutes, then packed them around my pot. An hour later the temp had not dropped!

Coleman75qtmashcooler.jpg

Good idea. When I used to biab and pm I would mash in a 4 gallon pot that fit neatly in my oven. I could keep it a perfect temp for as long as I wanted.

My BIAB kettle is too big for my oven. I lost about ten degrees during my last mash, so I think I'm going to make a kettle coozie out of reflective foil insulation. Should give me a bit stronger boil, too. I'm losing a ton of heat from the aluminum pot.

You could also use it as an AG mash tun :mug:

All grain is looking much more appealing to me after doing the PM. It definitely adds something to the brewing experience, beyond extract. Can't wait to see if I can taste the difference! :p

My BIAB kettle is too big for my oven. I lost about ten degrees during my last mash, so I think I'm going to make a kettle coozie out of reflective foil insulation. Should give me a bit stronger boil, too. I'm losing a ton of heat from the aluminum pot.

I did that for my first and only BIAB as someone here suggested. Just stole some reflectix I already had on my HVAC pipes to wrap the mash kettle. Only went around the diameter once and used a towel to cover the top. Lost 1 deg F over 60 minutes. I should note that it was a hot day in the garage when I did it, so you may lose 2-3 depending on ambient temps. Wrapping the kettle more than once may also give you some reduced temp loss.

Back