Great infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was checking on a saison I bottled last week and I heard a hissing. One of the bottles had a thick krausen inside, and the cap wasn't on straight.

For the hell of it, I cracked it open.

The foam was immediate, a thick, pillowy jet of suds spraying floorward from under the cap before I even got it off. I rushed to the sink (I wasn't there already because I'm a *******... I was standing on the living room carpet) and as I reached the kitchen, the cap gave way and a font of foam flew skyward.

Drenched in sudsy, sour-sweet beer, I held the bottle over the drain as it foamed. And foamed. And foamed. Two minutes later it had slowed to a river of suds, running over my fingers as my arm went numb.

Finally, I grabbed a pint glass and poured. About an inch of liquid, the rest was still foam. Oddly enough, it tasted and smelled like cotton candy.

I'm thinking the rest of the beer is OK. No mini-krausens, no popped lids. While I was sanitizing bottles I thought I saw a clump of something inside one, but when I set it down to grab the brush I lost track of which one it was.

(This is great news for anyone who's thinking of trading brews with me.)

If they're all like that, though, I'll take your naming advice. :D

Oddly enough, the sample bottle I tried just now had a little of the cotton candy but none of the gross. Gambrinus Honey malt and Saison funk combine really oddly.

That is indeed an interesting outcome. Strange how flavors combine sometimes to give an unexpected flavor. Now we have cotton candy ale to go with out bubblegum ones...!:ban:

Back