Great Divide, Pine Aroma, HOPS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
I've had two of Great Divide Brewing's IPA's: the Titan IPA and the Hercules Double IPA. Both were absolutley delicious. They both have an extremely strong Pine or more percisely Pine-Apple-ish aroma and taste. There's also a more subtle hint of citrus-y Cascade or something similar aroma going on. I love it. Has anyone ever done a clone of either of these beers?

I'm looking for a hop choice or combination that would yield me similar results for my first AG brew. A nice sweet and tasty summer IPA. Any ideas? I've looked through hop profiles but I can't find anything described as Piney. Any suggestions?

Best,
Ben

Chinooks are often described as piney and Chinook/Cascade is sort of the de facto "American standard hop profile". I'd lean towards bittering with Chinook, finishing with Cascade, and perhaps some "other stuff" in the middle.

The Pine taste is very VERY prominent, as if they used it for flavoring/aroma and dry hop. Could I use some chinook for aroma hops? Would that be completely absurd?

C'mon, someone other than me and BvB must have had these beers. If not, I recomend them highly. Extremely enjoyable.
-Ben

I have been eyeing these lately....I will have to pick some up on monday (no alcohol sales on sunday in the great state of Colorado)

Have you had Hazed & Infused? I think it tastes really close to Titan IPA, I love both of them, I ask because I tried making a H&I clone and I am pretty sure I got close on the hopping, you might try H&I and see if it has the characteristic you are looking for.

The hops -

.5 oz. Chinook 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade 15 min.
1 oz. Willamette 1 min.
1 oz. Crystal DH
1 oz. Centennial DH

I put the dry hops in a bag and dropped them into the keg when I transferred the beer after 2 weeks with the beer in secondary.

so does Simcoe if used with other hops--notably chinook.

both are fantastic beers--really really love a fresh Hercules.

Back