Great Brewing Nations Best Styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
I like to put together sample packs for my friends with a variety of the beers I have brewed. I had the idea of putting together a Great Brewing Nations Combination Pack. So which styles are most representative of each country?
Ireland - Stout
England - IPA or Bitter?
Germany - Oktoberfest/Helles/Weissbier?
Belgium - Tripel
Czech - Pilzen
USA - IPA or (God forbid) Light Hybrid?

So what have I forgotten?

I'd go with Bitter for England, or maybe a porter. Also, a good scotch ale would work well in there. You could add in a saison for France too.

Yeah, France = Saison/Farmhouse/de Garde.

Ireland = DRY Stout (at least it's one of my favorite styles... and underrated among available stout styles)

Germany = unfiltered Weisse beers

USA = Cream ale & hybrid California style steam (idiosyncratic choice, I know, but my fav... I get real tired of neverending IPAs and pale ales and west coast stouts)

Belgium = dry fruit lambics & Belgian doubles (I think traditional tripels are overrated!)

England = no idea... they make some good stouts though too

That would be my list of "my favorite" from each country... subjective but more interesting if you do it that way imo.

I have to stand up for Porters and Mild Ales for England. They were the original commercial beers. Bitters, while my favourite, came later.

Scotland needs to be recognised for their lovely Scottish ales.

As much as I want to argue Germany's fest biers are the best, wheat beers are probably a better choice. I'm on a real Octoberfest kick right now...Brooklyn Brewing's is drool-inducing.

Ireland - Dry Stout
England - Porter
Germany - Oktoberfest/Dopplebock
Belgium - Lambic or Saison
Czech - Pilzen
USA - IPA/Double IPA

If you had to pick 6, that's what I would go with. There's enough contrast in there to give your friends a great variety of styles and flavors.

Back