Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriznac

Reaction score
About ten days ago I did my first partial mash brew. It is a stout recipe I got from LHBS, recipe is as follows:

6 lbs. Dark LME

.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs. Carraffa Malt
1 lb. 80L Crystal Malt
.25 lbs. Roasted Malt, all steeped for 20 min. at 170

1 oz. Northern Brewer Hops for 60 min

.5 oz. Northern Brewer Hops for 10 min

2 tsp. Gypsum at 30 min

1 tsp. Irish Moss at 30 min

WL002 English Ale Yeast pitched at 70 degrees

Well, being a noob I forgot to take a gravity reading before pitching my yeast and didn't get a gravity reading until almost 24 hrs later. I got a reading of 1.042 and this just seems slightly low to me. Fermentation hadn't started in earnest yet and I am just wondering is it likely that my gravity lowered during this time? And how much is likely if it did?

I just put this into my BeerSmith and get 1.050 OG although (maybe its b/c I'm new), I'm not totally sure what you mean by roasted malt so I excluded that portion of the recipe.

I'm not sure what the roasted malt actually was. That was how it was listed on the recipe and I didn't know what it meant so I asked the guy and he just told me "this one" so that was that. I figured I could trust him he designed the recipe after all.:)

According to beersmith the OG should have been 1.045. That doesn't mean thats what it was but it was probably somewhere around there. Doesn't make much of a difference either way.

Depending on how much water you added to the wort/if any of your LME fermentables burnt/how much you extracted from the 80L, it sounds like your beer is fermenting. With such a high % of your recipe as LME, your should have come close to your target OG.

This looks more like an extract recipe than PM. Am I missing something? Just wondering...

None of those grains have enzymes, so there's no mash.
Add some base malt to convert the starches in the other grains.
This will also raise the OG some.

Thank you for the correction egolla, I re-read the section in Palmers' guide about malted grains. I guess this would be an extract brew with steeped specialty grains? So are the grains that require mashing just a super low Lovibond or am I still missing something?

Base malts are dried at low temp so the enzymes won't be destroyed.
Pale, Lager, and Pilsner malts are below 3 SRM and have > 100 diastatic power.
Pale Ale, Vienna, Victory, and Munich have more color and less enzymes.
Chocolate and Carafa have no remaining enzymes, most of the starches are
destroyed, and much of the sugar is unfermentable.

Back