gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808

Reaction score
How is it that my og was 1.068 and at 6 days my gravity is 1.012? Ive made this same beer once before and at this point my gravity was 1.024... 1.012 Is lower than my estimated final. Any kind of help is greatly apperciated. I used white labs 001

.012 is a good finishing place for American yeast. Fermentation conditions are one of the hardest thing for home brewers to keep consistent. You might have had better temps during fermentation or pitching so your yeast performed better. Also you might have pitched better yeast or more viable yeast on the second run.

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808 said:
How is it that my og was 1.068 and at 6 days my gravity is 1.012? Ive made this same beer once before and at this point my gravity was 1.024... 1.012 Is lower than my estimated final. Any kind of help is greatly apperciated. I used white labs 001

Was this all grain? What was your mash temp? May of had more fermentables due to mash temps.

Sorry this was an extract brew. Thanks for the quick resonse. I usually go 7 days primary 7 days secondary keg and 1-2 weeks in keg then carb. Ive never had such a low reading on the 6 day.. So could this batch be done fermenting?

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808 said:
Sorry this was an extract brew. Thanks for the quick resonse. I usually go 7 days primary 7 days secondary keg and 1-2 weeks in keg then carb. Ive never had such a low reading on the 6 day.. So could this batch be done fermenting?

May have a stalled fermentation. Maybe repitch or try to agitate the settled yeast. Just try not to oxidize the brew. I'm not much help but that's just my 2 cents. Who knows that yeast may just pooped out on ya lol. Cheers

A lower FG like that is good. It just fermented more completely,perhaps due to having the hydrated yeast closer to wort temp. That usually makes for healthier yeast. Or pitched dry,it was fresher.

So do you guys think it would be ok to start my cold crash?

NO!

If you want to improve your beer, leave it 2 weeks before doing anything.

During fermentation of sugar to alcohol yeast creates lots of different 'intermediate' esters. These include diacetyl (buttery/popcorn) and acetaldehylde (green apple/cidery). Once yeast has completed fermentation of the sugars it then starts to work on reducing these 'intermediate' esters. It also works to reduce some of the higher alcohols.

I don't know what the yeast is really doing, it may be storing nutrients before it goes dormant. But what I do know is that the yeast is still working after what many consider the end of fermentation.

If you cold crash (or even just rack the beer) you considerably reduce the yeast population and may never eliminate these faults.

Ok so crashed anyway for 7 days and now this batch taste way different from the last. It took on a slight sour smell but its very hard to taste it anybody got any ideas?

Did you crash the last batch? Are you comparing the final product from the last batch to the current state of this batch? A different amount of yeast in suspension may cause a difference in flavor.

Also, you have more alcohol and less malt than last time. So there will be less sweetness. Sometimes when you don't get what you expect, it assumes a flavor that isn't really there.

My wife drinks flavored sparkling water. No sugar and absolutely no sweetness. I've had it and I don't mind it. However, if I am drinking sprite (which smells EXACTLY like her drink) it makes her drink taste bitter and absolutely nasty. Even without drinking the sprite, the smell as I am about to sip puts the idea of sweetness in my mind and her drink can almost make me puke.

How long was it in primary before crashing? Sounds like a week maybe? That is not long enough for the yeast to clean up the acetaldehyde, which it sounds like what you are experiencing. As someone said above, it should be in primary at least 2 weeks and 3 weeks is better.

That is correct. I had a problem with my air lock at that point and couldnt get another one till 3 days later. So that was the reason for cold crashing so early. I thought because i hit lower than my estimated gravity it would be ok

Also, it can't possibly be conditioned at this point. Package it up, let it condition and taste again in 3 weeks. It might be better, but if it does have acetaldehyde, it might not.

If it were me, I'd make the same beer again, let it go in the primary for 3 weeks and try it side by side with this one. I think you will find the one that has been longer in the primary to taste better.

Back