Gravity points question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonj6

Reaction score
So I've been looking for some new recipes/kits to try out and theres some good looking ones from northern brewer, austin homebrew ect but they dont ship to canada. They do however have an supply list for 5 gallon batches (my equipment is for 6 gallon batches) and I just want to know if I'm doing the calculations right to keep OG the same.

As I understand it fermentable sugars are measured in points per pound per gallon, so if something has 46 ppg you would need 6 pounds in the six gallons to have an OG of 1.046?

So to to do a calculation it would be for example (46*# of lbs)/gallons?

On side note, for specialty grains and hops would I be okay keeping these quantities roughly the same or is there some way to calculate how much of an increase there should be for the extra gallon?

I use this: http://hbd.org/recipator/ for my recipes. There is a function in there to adjust your volume. Just enter the recipe as written for 5 gallons, then click the "resize recipe" button and adjust the volume - it will automatically increase all the grains and hop additions appropriately. Also remember US and imperial gallons are not the same. But you were probably already aware of that. In fact in your position I would convert everything to metric. I am doing so with my recipes now that I have a scale that is accurate and measures to within 0.01g.

GT

Back