Gravity over shot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrewersgrimm44

Reaction score
Is there a formula to calculate how much water to add to dilute your wort if you get a higher gravity then you were looking for?

SG*Volume/desired SG=final volume.
Ex. 5 gal 1.060, but you wanted 1.050
60 SG*5 gal= 300 gravity points/50=6 gal. So add 1 gallon of water to get your desired gravity

I understand that but if I was looking for consistence then.... I wouldn't want a high alcohol

I understand that but if I was looking for consistence then.... I wouldn't want a high alcohol

That is fine, although depending on your beer consistency might be lost by diluting because it will change your hop utilization. /shrug

Just see a lot of these posts where people think they need to be spot on their numbers either due to newness or OCD. I just like to remind them there is another way. :mug:

C1 * v1 = c2 *v2. Where c is the concentration, or gravity, and v is the volume.

So, initial gravity divided by desired gravity times initial volume equals the volume needed. Take the difference between the volume needed and the initial volume and add it.

I'm opening a nano brewery where consistency is everything. And I was looking for the formula to figure out if I over shoot on the bigger system the first few batches to be able to compensate. I know this seems like a brewing 101 question. But I haven't over shot yet but anything is possible!!!!

Latest posts

Back