Gravity of grape juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
I've never made wine, only beer, lots of beer, and cider. My father in-law was just given a 5-gallon pail of grape juice, I think it's what the juice came in. He asked me how to make wine with it so I researched it and went over to his house with my best intentions. However....apparently the person who gave it to him let the bucket sit for a year....I don't know....I took a gravity and it's 0.992, which I would say is finished wine? no? not unfermented juice which I was told. I'm thinking the juice fermented naturally in the bucket. Anyways, it says "Zinfandel" on the side, anyone have a clue what the OG of the juice might have been? Trying to figure out what ABV might be....it doesn't taste very good. CHeers!

I know regular store grape juice isnt very high like 1.05 or so. Im shure wine grapes are higher,you could maybe research what the gravity for zinfandel grapes is and get some info or contacting the source brand on the bucket. It probably oxidized in the bucket too?

Back