Gravity is too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oskhelly

Reaction score
The first time I brewed this partial mash recipe the OG was 1.060 and this time it's 1.104 The target was 1.065
The first batch my grain bag was really full since I supplemented 3lbs more pale 2-row for 2lbs less DME. It seemed to work so I did the same for the second batch but I bought a large grain bag the size of my kettle so the grain wasn't packed so tight. Also I steeped the grains 20min longer and stirred the grains a few times. It's fermentating now but what is this beer going to be like when done fermenting?

longeranstirredgrainsthe grains

Did you use top up water? If so you just had an uneven mix. You don't have enough difference in fermentable amounts to make that big of a change.

oskhelly said:
The first time I brewed this partial mash recipe the OG was 1.060 and this time it's 1.104 The target was 1.065
The first batch my grain bag was really full since I supplemented 3lbs more pale 2-row for 2lbs less DME. It seemed to work so I did the same for the second batch but I bought a large grain bag the size of my kettle so the grain wasn't packed so tight. Also I steeped the grains 20min longer and stirred the grains a few times. It's fermentating now but what is this beer going to be like when done fermenting? I used wlp060 American ale yeast. Will the yeast be able to ferment completely or will the alcohol become too high?

Yes I topped with 2 gallons of water and swirled the carboy to mix before the gravity reading. I thought it was mixed good but maybe not. I brewed it yesterday so ill check the gravity again now that it looks like it has settled quit a bit stuff on the bottom.

kh54s10 said:
Did you use top up water? If so you just had an uneven mix. You don't have enough difference in fermentable amounts to make that big of a change.

Ok thanks kh54s10. 24 hours after pitching its at 1.046 so I would guess it was actually somewhat close to the target. It's fermenting nicely now. I was worried I screwed it up by the 50min steeping time and stirring the grains. Is that ok to do and is there any benefit to either as far as getting more fermentable sugars?

Steeping grains are usually for color and taste not to get appreciable amounts of fermentables. A mini mash with 2 row and usually some specialty grains, will extract sugars. When you substituted the 2 row for the extract you really only changed where you got the sugars from.

Stirring the grains makes it likely that you will get most of the sugars available and is a good thing to do.

Again, unless you changed something more than substituting the 2 row for the extract there is not enough a change to make this one significantly different in gravity from the first brew.

Latest posts

Back