Gravity, fermentation and retardation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaxedHead

Reaction score
Ok, first brew,it's a hoppy wheat made from a wiezen extract kit with a replacement yeast , American Ale, and the addition of Ahtanum hops.
First off, I didn't take the original gravity reading. Should I still take readings to see if the match what the beer is supposed to be?
Second, I read wiezens are better young and should only be fermented 1-2 weeks but American wheats shoud be 3-4? What do I have? What should I do with it? Its on the fourth day in the primary and bubbles have slowed to one every 15 seconds or so.
Any advice and or critisizm (constructive or non) would be appreciated.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread my non-constructive criticism. My apologies.

First of all don't assume I'm talking about mental retardation, which by the way is not a derogatory term for the mentally handicapped. Water head, cork head, retard, yes.
The word Retardation is the act or result of delaying; the extent to which anything is retarded or delayed; that which retards or delays. So the word in its self is a technical term.
Second, i did not tealize political correctness was a requirement for posting.
Third, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Also I have no idea what poor monkeys in a barrel means. So if you would kindly enlighten me.

Your post was fine. Retardation is a perfectly acceptable word. And yes we have a mentally handicap person in our family. You know what makes him feel out of place?? It's when politically correct people throw a fit about it.

It only offends those who want it to be offensive. Your not helping anyone.

ANYWAY- moving on to the beer...

If it was particularly hoppy, it probably wasn't a *strict* weizen to begin with- I wouldn't worry about what category this beer falls under.

Most light wheat beers are very good enjoyed young- that's not to say a longer fermentation will hurt them, they just don't really benefit from extended aging and are typically ready to drink quickly.

A good rule of thumb (for all beers, including wheats) is to ferment all the way to final gravity, and then give the beer 3-7 days to clean up (during this period yeast will consume some of the byproducts of fermentation and generally improve the beer) in the primary. After that the beer is ready to package, dry hop, or get any other additions you'll be adding like oak or fruit.

Thank you Hopmonster, I also have a handicapped person in my family who hates being treated as such. We all have our strengths but I would say that those with disabilities are stronger than most including myself.

But yes back to the beer. Danskin, thank you, your advice will help quite a bit.

ANYWAY- moving on to the beer...

If it was particularly hoppy, it probably wasn't a *strict* weizen to begin with- I wouldn't worry about what category this beer falls under.

Most light wheat beers are very good enjoyed young- that's not to say a longer fermentation will hurt them, they just don't really benefit from extended aging and are typically ready to drink quickly.

A good rule of thumb (for all beers, including wheats) is to ferment all the way to final gravity, and then give the beer 3-7 days to clean up (during this period yeast will consume some of the byproducts of fermentation and generally improve the beer) in the primary. After that the beer is ready to package, dry hop, or get any other additions you'll be adding like oak or fruit.

^^^^+2^^^ Let them clean up. Wheat beers tend to remain a bit hazy. You want them cold for a few days prior to drinking. Welcome & Cheers:mug:

Well as far as young goes its only four days. I regretfully didn't take the OG reading but just now I took a reading to measure against what the kit says should be the fg (1.010-1.015), it's 1.009. Does that mean its done? Why is it below what it should be?
Also tastes quite watery, will that change, or is that what I'll end up with?

Thats a good ferment. Give it a week to ten days to clean up and the flavor will also change for the better. When you bottle/prime to carbonate it will turn to the beer you made. Its just alcohol water now, the change takes more time and each step in the process get it close to BEER.:) Cheers & Congrats:tank:

Great news, thank you sir! I can hardly wait! It was watery but lightly wheat sweet with a bitter bite, I understand it might and probably will change but the excitement will not cease!!

Back