Grapple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
I was watching Cribs on tv, and they had some guy on there going on about how great these grapples are.

What is a grapple? It's a apple soaked in grape juice so you have a apple-grape flavor.

After doing some research I noticed so far it's only available on the American West Coast, and not here in Canada.

Anyone ever do anything like this before?

I was planning on just getting a crapload of grape concentrate and keeping the apples in a container filled with the juice for about a week in the fridge.

Sounds more like a "I'm bored let's do something" adventure, but it's worth a shot!

I have never tried them before, I was really hoping when I first heard of them that they were genetically made somehow and not just "soaked", kind of lost my interest when I found out. :mug:

I saw these at the local super box a couple days ago and thought WTF?

Why would someone take one of nature's finest offerings and bastardize it?

Apples kick ass all on their own.

If I were to soak an apple in grape juice, I'd be sure the grape juice was fermented first!

Yea when I worked at a Fruit Market we had these. Just an apple that has a slight grape taste. As far as I could tell they were not soaked. I was kind of disappointed in them, they were just okay, but pretty expensive. Honeycrisp apples are the best.

Basically a plum. We had so many different kinds. They were all awesome. Dinosaur Eggs were cool looking, and pretty good.

WTF is a pluot?

A complex hybrid of plum and apricot, but mainly plum. There are quite a few varieties and they're all good.

On the other side of the fence there's the aprium, a complex hybrid that's mainly apricot. They're also good, but aren't as available as pluots.

If we've had Grapples here in Newfoundland for years now, whatever part of Canada you're in DEFINITELY has had them for longer. Unless you're in Labrador or Iqualuit. Then you'd be lucky to get an apple, let alone a Grapple (I'm completely ignorant of the fruit situation in both of those places, but it's gotta be worse than here :p)

A guy I work with is always eating Grapples and talking about how "bitchin'" they are. They smell pretty good but I never tried one. Like someone else said, it's a cross between Apple and Grape, not soaked, it's all genetic or whatever...

A guy I work with is always eating Grapples and talking about how "bitchin'" they are. They smell pretty good but I never tried one. Like someone else said, it's a cross between Apple and Grape, not soaked, it's all genetic or whatever...

You're joking right? Those are soaked in the same artificial grape flavouring they use to make purple drank! I saw it on Unwrapped one time. The genetic cross would be pretty cool though.

You're joking right? Those are soaked in the same artificial grape flavouring they use to make purple drank! I saw it on Unwrapped one time. The genetic cross would be pretty cool though.

You're exactly right...and the guy I work with (who thinks he knows everything) is a dumb a$$. I guess that's what I get for not looking it up myself earlier.

From there website:

"There is nothing but flavor being infused into the apple. A relaxing bathing process prepares our apples for you or your kids. The apple takes on no additional sugars or calories. They are not genetically altered in any way."

These things suck. They taste like an apples soaked in dimetapp.

When I first heard of them, I was hoping it would be an apple with a grape like interior. Nope, just a ****ty apple (I'm not a big fan of fijis) soaked in fake grape flavoring.

I hate these. I have never eaten one, but every time I am picking out apples I have to smell them since they are placed next to my unmolested apples.

Latest posts

Back