Grapefruit IPA- To dry hop or not to dry hop????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I have a stellar grapefruit IPA in the fermentor right now for about 15 days now. Not actually made with grapefruit, but with grapefruit flavor hops. (Cascade/Mandarina Bavaria) It looks like it is going to be great. But I have 2 oz of Amarillo hops in the freezer. I'm torn on whether I will mess up a good thing or make something good be epic. Should I dry hop or leave it alone????

I would definitely dry hop with Amarillo. It will enhance the citrus notes, possibly adding a bit of sweet tangerines/oranges aroma.

The combination will be good. But if you are happy with how it turned out this time, skip the dry hopping. Next time you brew this beer again, add some Amarillo and see how it goes. It will not be worse, but a bit different.

I do think it's possible to mess up a hoppy beer with dry hops. I much prefer dry hops added during active fermentation than keg additions which I find taste a bit weird and out of place. That said a short dose in cold crash would probably be beneficial. I'd say 2 days in a fine mesh bag then another couple days for the tannic particles to drop before kegging or bottling.

Dry hopping would bring out the grapefruit aroma (and aroma and flavor are closely related). I'd do an ounce of Citra and an ounce of Cascade for the dry hopping if you want grapefruit. Amarillo is definitely citrus but more toward the orange flavor than grapefruit.

I'm always for the experimentation side of brewing. If I'm not brewing for a reason I'm always trying something different. I say dry hop it. I would never dry hop in the primary, let alone during active fermentation, however.

I'm always for the experimentation side of brewing. If I'm not brewing for a reason I'm always trying something different. I say dry hop it. I would never dry hop in the primary, let alone during active fermentation, however.
neipa gets a lot of its distinctive hoppy flavour from active dry hop additions. try it, its good

neipa gets a lot of its distinctive hoppy flavour from active dry hop additions. try it, its good
Interesting. I have only recently even heard of the NEIPA. I haven't done much research on it. I will give it a shot.

This!

I got a NEIPA that got 1 oz Apollo at 30 min boil, 1 oz Lemondrop and Azzaca at day 2 and again at day 4. Just moved it to keg to carb and it is almost like a grapefruit juice

Back