Grape, pear, apple, peach wine ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelafish

Reaction score
My son and I normally brew beer together, but the wife and daughter like wine better. I wanted to brew a peach flavored wine, like Moscoto, and thought I would try amending a simple recipe like the Welchs frozen grape juice wine. While searching for ingredients, I found that Walmart had white grape/peach juice for $4.92/gal, and I bought enough to get free delivery. Label said: White grape juice from concentrate, peach juice from concentrate, ascorbic acid. No preservatives. It came in today, but the label on these are for: white grape, pear, apple, and peach juice (from concentrate). Luckily no preservatives still. I'm going to forge ahead and ferment it anyway, but was wondering if I need to alter the amendments much with the change in ingredients? I think, more than anything, I'm concerned about the apple juice making it too cidery ? I do have a few cans of white grape juice concentrate in the freezer to make it more grape-ish.

pear is often used as "filler" in in fruit juices, likely because it doesn't have a dominant taste
you usually don't find pear juice on the shelf for the same reason, although pears are usually very juicy if eaten fresh. They could be cheaper too.
the apple is likely "filler" as well

You can buy a peach concentrate wine base on Amazon, I believe that it is packaged by Vinters Best, it comes in a gallon jug and makes five gallons.

Why not make each separate ingredient a separate wine and then blend them to taste before you bottle. That may mean that you are using 1:1:1: 1... : .25 or ????
That's near impossible to do. The label doesn't say how much of each is in it. other than more grape than pear, etc. It could be 90% grape, 5% pear, 3% apple and 2% peach; or.. 40% grape, 30% pear, 20% apple, and 10% peach. Or thousands of other combos. And most of my equipment is set up for 5 gal batches. I thought about shipping them back for replacement, but what are the chances that someone would actually take the time to read the labels. Maybe this is a "new" formula, and the old two ingredient isn't available anymore.

That's near impossible to do. The label doesn't say how much of each is in it. other than more grape than pear, etc. It could be 90% grape, 5% pear, 3% apple and 2% peach; or.. 40% grape, 30% pear, 20% apple, and 10% peach. Or thousands of other combos. And most of my equipment is set up for 5 gal batches. I thought about shipping them back for replacement, but what are the chances that someone would actually take the time to read the labels. Maybe this is a "new" formula, and the old two ingredient isn't available anymore.
I see. I thought they delivered to you bottles of different juices in error. Never realized that the bottles were a cocktail of juice. Taste the juice and see if you like the flavor as is. If the flavor seems to be OK and the grape is either well balanced with other flavors or dominates in a good way then it is likely to make a reasonably good wine, in my opinion. If the must tastes good then you at least have a running chance of making a good wine. If the must tastes terrible then the wine is not likely to taste any better.

pear is often used as "filler" in in fruit juices, likely because it doesn't have a dominant taste
you usually don't find pear juice on the shelf for the same reason, although pears are usually very juicy if eaten fresh. They could be cheaper too.
the apple is likely "filler" as well

You can buy a peach concentrate wine base on Amazon, I believe that it is packaged by Vinters Best, it comes in a gallon jug and makes five gallons.
True. But I was aiming for a grape wine with peach flavor, and that's what the product was supposed to be. It seems that grape wines require specific adjuncts and I wanted to not stray too far. So I need to know if the pectic enzymes and yeast nutrients need to be adjusted based on an unknown quantity of each juice ? (2 pack) Great Value 100% Juice, White Grape Peach, 64 Fl Oz, 1 Count - Walmart.com

What you have will likely make a drinkable product, personally, I'd add table sugar to it as well. I feel certain, that the mix was developed by food scientists to have a drinkable product at a fair price. Since you have it, go with it. Does it taste good now? the juice

Amazon also has a white grape juice concentrate. by the same vendor, you could get a jug of each and blend to the ratio that you feel that it should be, saving any extra to backsweeten or "adjust" the flavor, when it finishes.

Maybe we should just start with a clean slate, and work with what I have: 4 gallons of grape, pear, apple, peach juice in unknown mixture, plus 6 cans of frozen white grape juice concentrate. 2- 10 L, and 2 6 gal plastic buckets, and one 5 gal glass carboy. So I need to shoot for a 5 gal batch to keep head space to a minimum in secondary. For yeast, I have 71B-1122, EC-1118, and Red Star Montrachet. (I also have several FGJC and FAJC)

Use what ever yeast has worked out good for you in the past.

I've had the rhino farts with Montrachet, that I now know is from a lack of nutrients.
EC-1118 is known to ferment out and make a dry wine from what I understand.
I don't believe that I have used 71B-1122.

My "go-to" yeast is K1V-11116, but that is just my preference.

I was aiming for a grape wine with peach flavor, and that's what the product was supposed to be.
Fermenting peach juice is not going to provide a peach flavored wine.
The Moscato peach wine that was mentioned in the original post is wine made with the Moscato grape that has (most likely) been flavored with an additive to provide the peach flavor.
Welch's (or Walmart brand) white grape juice probably uses Niagra grapes. Along with all the other juices from concentrate in the mix, your not going to come anywhere close to a Moscato wine flavor.
If you still want to use the juice you've bought, go for it, but you'll probably want to get some peach flavoring that you can add to taste when you bottle.
Moscato kit wines are easy to make and available for about $10/gallon of finished wine, which isn't a bad deal:
https://labelpeelers.com/wine-making/wine-kits/classic/classic-california-moscato-wine-kit/

Has anyone tried the flavored syrups like Da Vinci ? They have a peach that could be added after stabilization, plus it contains sulfites too.

I've used some syrups that were sold for flavoring tea, to flavor apple ciders, Tea Zone was the name brand.
Green Apple, the one jug was too much for a five gallon batch, I had to blend it down.
Peach, the one jug was perfect in a five gallon batch.
I haven't tried any other flavors yet, although I saw several that looked interesting.

Brewer's Best has a natural Peach Flavoring...I haven't used that one yet - but do Really Like their Watermelon for my ciders -- added post fermentation...1oz/gal.

Cheers.

That said, the juice from fresh pressed perry pears is divine. It's thick, and rich, and full of character, and just delightful. My kids proclaimed it was like dessert.

I suspect the blandness is a result of specialization-selecting/breeding good dessert fruit will have different goals than fruit for juicing, which might not be the same varieties that ferment the best.

I'm no expert though.

Back