Grape/cherry wine from concentrate/pie filling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lebl468

Reaction score
Pretty excited to see how this turns out.

Grape Cherry wine

SG. 1.090

3.78L Cherry juice
11.36L grape juice
4x295mL grape concentrate
8 cups sugar
4x540mL Cherry pie filling
Water up to 23L
Package oak chips 60gr
Package oak cubes 100gr
Lalvin EC-1118

Just added all the juices together, dumped the pie filling into muslin bag.
Oak chips are in, but I will add the cubes at secondary.

image.jpg

Add pectin enzyme. It may be late, but you can still add it. Otherwise it may not clear. If its slow fermenting add nutriants. They almost always are needed.
I am not a fan of oak, but remember to tast often so it does not get over oaked. It looks like a lot of oak to me, but I could be wrong.
If all is going well then feel free to ignore me!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Hmm, good call on the pectic Enzime, I was hoping that the cherries would not break up too much, but probably wouldn't hurt to add some. I don't think nutrient is needed, it is taking off like a rocket ship! As for taste, I sampled some off the spoon today, and it was good. I think this is going to be a winner! I hadn't added the oak cubes yet, so I will taste test before I dump them in to the secondary, maybe the chips in the primary will be enough. Thanks for the input!

I hope nobody minds my two cents. I am a fan of oaks in the deep red wines now (from a lot of taste testing haha) and so far I am quite happy with adding 30 grams of oak cubes in 5 gallons of red wine.

I find, so far, that is does not over power but is there enough to add complexity.

60 grams is going to definitely over power it (just my opinion). Are you adding two forms of oak then? chips AND cubes? I would stick with only one type for now and cut that amount in half (cut it back to 30 grams, see how you like that).

Let us know how it turns out :-D

Add pectin enzyme. It may be late, but you can still add it. Otherwise it may not clear. If its slow fermenting add nutriants. They almost always are needed.
I am not a fan of oak, but remember to tast often so it does not get over oaked. It looks like a lot of oak to me, but I could be wrong.
If all is going well then feel free to ignore me!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back