Grandpappy's lawyer's rice wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

organ

Reaction score
My dad recently unearthed his father's rice wine recipe. Well, his father's lawyer, Harvey Kennedy, Sr.'s rice wine recipe. It goes like this:

3 lbs. rice
6 lbs. sugar
2 yeast cakes or packages
3 lbs. raisins
2 oranges
2 gals. boiling water

Pour the water over the rice, which has been washed four times. Add sugar, raisins, and sliced oranges. Let cool to lukewarm, then add yeast which has been dissolved. Stir every day for three weeks, then strain and put in bottles.

In remembrance of two guys I never knew: Harvey Kennedy, Esq. and my grandfather, Tom, who once claimed he'd rather watch Henry Fonda chew tobacco than eat when he was hungry. :mug:

gyjHZFC.jpg

oyPogDG.jpg

Super-cool old recipe card. This recipe reminds me of some old-school winemaking techniques like th addition of citrus fruits for acid etc. Very cool, how's it taste?

I don't know; I've never made any. I didn't know this existed until last week. It's definitely on my list.

I love this! Old recipes like that are so cool. I have some handwritten by both my grandmother and great-grandmother on my Mom's side that are prized possessions.

Thanks for sharing this! I've made the Asian-style rice wine per the lonnnng thread on this forum, but this sounds like fun to try too.

If you try it, let us know how it works out. It'll probably be a while before I can get to it.

I just found the sake section of this forum and this is the first thread I have read. This sake recipe seems super simple compared to some I have googled which has deterred me from trying. Is there a specific yeast and how long in the bottle before one can drink?

I just found the sake section of this forum and this is the first thread I have read. This sake recipe seems super simple compared to some I have googled which has deterred me from trying. Is there a specific yeast and how long in the bottle before one can drink?

The recipe here is different from the asian style rice wines. This wine gets it sugar from sugar and raisins. The asian wines use specific yeast and mold combinations to convert the starch in the rice to sugar.

This type of rice wine is definitely not sake. It's simple, fast fermenting, and pretty tasty young. (Although I've not tried this specific recipe YET but have made it using sweet rice and Asian yeast balls.)

Sake IS rice wine, but not all rice wine is sake.

Kinda like Coke is a soda, but not all sodas are Coke - ya know? :D

I'm guessing all most folks could get hold of back then was bakers yeast?

Super cool recipe, I'll try this out when I have an open fermenter.
:mug: Let us know how it turns out.

The recipe here is different from the asian style rice wines. This wine gets it sugar from sugar and raisins. The asian wines use specific yeast and mold combinations to convert the starch in the rice to sugar.

It is indeed. It looks like maybe the rice is there to add some subtle flavor only?

nice, seeing raisins and white sugar as ingredients instantly brought me back to the first material i ever read about making booze for ones self- a british book called "country wines". all the recipes were pretty much the same

1. some amount of fruit or plant
2. several KGs of sugar
3. campden tabs + yeast nutrient

i remember a rice wine recipe that was just like this

Latest posts

Back