grains question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
When I am looking at recipes and grains I will see Crystal 10, Crystal 40, Crystal 60, etc. I'm assuming the number represents some difference between the grains. SO what is the difference? Is it a color thing, flavor, amount of sugars.

The number refers to Lovibond, which is the scale of color it will give to the wort. A Crystal 20L will give a much lighter color than a crystal 60L, which will be lighter than 90L. There are corresponding flavor differences, but someone older and wiser than I will have too explain those.....

crystal 10 doesn't impart much flavor, maltiness if anything. it is good to darken the beer a little.

as you go up through they become much darker, and begin to impart caramel like notes, and once you get to about 80 or 120 they become smoky. any time you use a dark grain you want to make sure you know what you are doing because they generally give a lot of flavor and color.

Ok new question, is there like a color chart which you can look at how much it will darken a beer or is it just a guess and experience as to how much of a certain grain to use.

I am planning on brewing a baltic porter and an old ale soon. My question is which types of crystal would you guys recommend for those two?

Right now I plan on using 1.25# Crystal 90L for the Baltic porter because I want caramel flavor without the deeper fruity notes. I plan on using 1# Crystal 120L for the old ale to add deep-fruity/caramel flavor.

nl724 said:
I am planning on brewing a baltic porter and an old ale soon. My question is which types of crystal would you guys recommend for those two?

Right now I plan on using 1.25# Crystal 90L for the Baltic porter because I want caramel flavor without the deeper fruity notes. I plan on using 1# Crystal 120L for the old ale to add deep-fruity/caramel flavor.

Baltic: Use some chocolate, maybe 1/4 lb with 3/4 lb crystal instead of all crystal.

Old: Crystal 120 3/4, flaked wheat 1/2lb, chocolate wheat 1/2lb, maybe some molassas.

Just my opinions. Sounds gooood

Back