grains of paradise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cush mine but that is because I like to. I have also pitched them in straight and it went in fine. I think they are so small that crushing doesn't increase the surface area all that much.

Last batch I used them in I ended up just tossing them in. I tried to crush them up in small food processor but that didn't do anything since they are so small.

I crush mine. I put them in a plastic baggie and smack it with the back-side of a tablespoon. Be careful if you've never used them... a VERY small quantity goes a LONG way.

Oh I should have mentioned that the only reason I crush them is because I have a mortar and pessil. I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. If you have one, it can't hurt to crush them.

try this: put a whole one in your mouth, hold it for a minute and spit it out. now put another one in your mouth and crush it with your teeth. which do you prefer?

Anyone ever try pan-toasting them first? Toasting seeds like cumin, coriander and peppers before using them in recipes helps to release essential oils and really kicks the flavor and aroma up. Just wondered if anyone had tried that with GoP before adding them to their wort.

I used 1 gram in my last hefeweizen batch. I put them in a zip lock bag and wacked them with a rubber mallet. I read that they should add a lemon pepper flavor to the beer.

Just like in cooking, like any dry spice or herb, you should always crush them to release the essential oils.

Heck you really should even dry roast them first.

Back