Grains in wort after batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasben

Reaction score
Boiling right now and notice little micro pieces of grain in my wort. Doing an oatmeal stout...this normal? I vourlafed and everything ...do the pieces eventually fall after fermentation?

Do you batch sparge or fly sparge? I batch sparge and found that slowing the flow down did wonders for getting clear wort into the kettle. I used to go crazy about it but I didn't notice it making a huge difference and yes it should eventually settle out in the fermenter.

Even when I would vorlauf, I'd get particles coming through (into the container I would vorlauf into). Didn't matter if I did a couple of quarts, or several. So, I started using the old grain sack inside the kettle/keggle and simply running the wort out of the mash tun into it. I would still start off slower to set the grain bed (easier with a few ounces of rice hulls) for both the mash and sparge wort. Since going that way, zero grain particles have made it into the boil.

BTW, jtejedor, the OP put the sparge type/method in the title. :eek:

Back