Grains and extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oberonsd73

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm looking to brew an ESB

Ingredients:
6.6 lb Liquid Light Extract
2.5 lb British Crystal 55°L
1.0 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 tsp Wyeast Nutrient
1.0 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Questions are...
1. I usually buy the bulk LME from the shop. Is there a significant taste difference if I buy a can like Muntons (since it comes from the proper region)

2. Is all crystal malt "British". And if not, again is there a taste difference?

3. I picked the 1968 Yeast.... any other suggestions?

thx:mug:

Not all crystal malt is British. I can't say you wouldn't notice a difference between it and US crystal, but it's not a big one. If British is hard to get, don't worry. (ADD: US will be 60L not 55L; no big deal).

Munton's would be fine, I think. There are some brands that have different qualities (e.g., John Bull has lots of non-fermentables). I'd rather have fresh from, say, AHS than canned Munton's, but not a deal breaker either way.

You have no 60 minute hops. That strikes me as unusual.

1. There are significant differences between different suppliers of LME (and DME), but if you are happy with the results of your normal LME, I wouldn't change because you may pick a variety that doesn't suit your brewing methods. If you can find a Maris Otter LME, you may get better results, but then again, it may not suit your brewing methods.

2. Not all crystal malt is British, and there can be a taste difference between different brands. For the crystal, I would use a British variety. I use Muntons 55°L, but there are plenty of others.

3. 1968 is excellent. So is White Labs WLP002 (I believe it is the same yeast).
For a dried yeast, you could try S-04. It's very nearly as good as the others, but much cheaper.

One suggestion, I would cut the crystal down to a max of 1 lb for that recipe. IMHO 2.5 lbs crystal would be way too much

Good luck

-a.

One suggestion, I would cut the crystal down to a max of 1 lb for that recipe. IMHO 2.5 lbs crystal would be way too much

Good luck

-a.

So more of the extract?
I liked the color w/ the extra crystal, and thought the extra would add more of the carmel flavor... would you have another suggestion?

thanks the for reply

So more of the extract?
I liked the color w/ the extra crystal, and thought the extra would add more of the carmel flavor... would you have another suggestion?

thanks the for reply

I'd be concerned that much crystal would be cloyingly sweet, especially without enough bittering hops. Since it's not giving you any fermentable sugars, there wouldn't be any need for addition extract.

I'd definitely rethink the hopping, keeping balance in mind. I'd have the bittering hops at 60 minutes, and I'm not sure about the others. I didn't run it through brewing software, so I'm not sure of the IBUs and the balance you have there.

+1. That's at least a pound and a half too much crystal. You will end up with a cloyingly-sweet, undrinkable supply of crystal malt syrup. But it's great on vanilla ice cream. ;)

Your shop's bulk LME is probably Briess Gold; that's US 2-row mashed with a proportion of CaraPils. And it's perfectly all right for ESB as well as pretty much any style. I strongly recommend you follow this rule of thumb: Always choose the freshest extract you can find. That means your LHBS's supply, if they turn it over quickly. Muntons is good extract, but the tins need to come from a warehouse in UK to a ship to a warehouse in USA to a wholesaler to your LHBS. Lord knows how old it is! Get the freshest extract you can.

I try to use the area-appropriate ingredients as well; I find it gives a more authentic flavor. But that rule stops at tins of extract! ;) If you can get UK crystal, though, that provides a far more authentically English ESB flavor than domestic crystal/caramel malts.

If I'd change anything, I'd add the Goldings at flameout to capture more aroma. Also, I recommend dry yeast for this one. S-04 is perfect, is far more forgiving, and is far less expensive.

Cheers!

Bob

I'd definitely rethink the hopping, keeping balance in mind. I'd have the bittering hops at 60 minutes, and I'm not sure about the others. I didn't run it through brewing software, so I'm not sure of the IBUs and the balance you have there.

I just finished plugging it into ProMash, and moving that much Challenger to 60 and 30 will provide like 58 IBU. Too much.

I'd do 1 oz Challenger for 60 and the Goldings at flameout. Sod the flavor addition. ;)

Bob

I just finished plugging it into ProMash, and moving that much Challenger to 60 and 30 will provide like 58 IBU. Too much.

I'd do 1 oz Challenger for 60 and the Goldings at flameout. Sod the flavor addition. ;)

Bob

I did the same in BeerTools. the 8%challenger at 60 mins gives 30IBU.

You think that's enough for the style? Was thinking a bit more (hence the flavor addition)...

Thanks for your suggestions..

You think that's enough for the style? Was thinking a bit more (hence the flavor addition)...

30 is the lower limit of the style, but I think it's perfectly acceptable. You can tweak your amounts a smidge to get you a bit higher if you'd like.

If you want more color than 1 lb crystal, you could try 3/4 lb crystal and 1/4 lb dark crystal (135 - 165L). The only problem with this is that I've recently got some of the Muntons dark crystal and it tastes very much like roasted barley, which doesn't go well in an ESB. I've done it several times before however, without a problem. Perhaps I got a bum batch.
As for the hops, 58 IBU is still just within style (max 60 IBU), but Fullers ESB is not a very hoppy beer if I remember correctly. (I haven't had a real one for over 25 years.) I'd be happy with your original hop schedule. Although it would be to the low end of the spectrum (about 34 IBU), it should give good hop flavor which I like.

-a.

P.S. Yes, an extra lb or so of LME would be a good idea to make up for the crystal reduction.

Fuller's ESB has a very pleasant hops presence, with a solid malt backbone overlaid with earthy hops and caramel-malt sweetness. It tends to finish dry, with notes of biscuit and bread.

A light, lingering bitterness balances the complex, rich malt flavors. I find ESB is one of the most balanced beers I've ever tasted.

Bob

Back