Grainfather G40 Brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLish830

Reaction score
Does anyone have a G40? Curious how fast you can brew on these bad boys , set up on 220v with 15 amps. It has to warm up pretty fast. Just curious how long your brew day is?

My last brew day was about 5 hours. I did cool to 167ºF and did a whirlpool hop for about 20 minutes so, could be faster but I wasn't in a hurry. This was my 4th brew on it and so far I really like it.

What is the most current firmware for the g40? I’m trying to set my boil temp to 209 but it keeps going back to 212.

I only have a hand full of brews on my G40 so far, but I find that the brewing process is quicker, but the clean up process is longer than my old propane 3 vessel system. Including cleaning, my total brew time is about 5 hours if I do a 1 hour mash and 1 hour boil. Of course, I'm still learning my system.

I expect my brew day can get significantly shorter if I remember to fill the G40 with water the night before and set a delayed timer to warm up the strike water first thing in the morning so it is ready when wake up. It would sure be nice to wake up, add the milled grains to the G40 and then go about showering, brushing my teeth and eating breakfast while my mash is going on. This would let me finish the brew day long before noon and have the rest of the day for other things. I plan to give that a try this Saturday and will report back.

I filled the G40 with 8 gallons of water Friday night and weighed and milled my grains for a 10 gallon IPA batch. I set the timer to start warming the strike water at 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning. When I got out of bed a little after 7 a.m., the strike water was ready to go, so I just dumped in the grain, stirred it and set the recirculating pump. I then took the dogs to the beach for a 90 minute mash. That was easy!

No more setting up everything in the driveway. No worries about the wind blowing out the flame on the propane burner or running out of propane mid boil. No more having to lift or carry heavy brewing equipment full of liquid.

It still took 5 hours from the time I mashed in until I was done cleaning, but that is primarily because I mashed for 90+ minutes while I went to the beach with my dogs. I'm still learning how best to use the G40, but am already loving it. Well worth the investment in the gear and the electrician to put in the 220v plug in garage.

Back