Grainfather connect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
Is there any reason why the Grainfather Connect controller couldn't be used on a non-Grainfather unit? Currently, the only thing I need to convert to electric, is an element and a controller. If l look at the bottom of the controller, it is hard wired for power, and a temperature probe. There are two outlets, one of which I presume is for the element, and the other for a pump. Logically this should be all one needs.

I would think it would work with any bucket, urn, barrel or tank you wanted to hang it on. It’s how you setup the innards that determine it’s effectiveness.

One should know the innards of the Grainfather Connect controller.

For instance, does it use a PID logic or does it just lower the power to the heater when the target temperature is approaching? If the Grainfather has some fixed power levels that can be controlled by the controller (for instance, 1 or 2 elements) then the Controller might use that function. Another automatic kettle might have only one element. If it uses a PID logic, the parameters might need some tweaking because of the different shape of the kettle, the different evaporation rate or dissipation rate etc.

Also, The Grainfather might not have its temperature probe at the bottom of the kettle, while most have. Those kettles which have the probe near the heater might safely assume that's the hottest part of the system, and program accordingly. Maybe that's not true for the Grainfather.

If there is only only one heating element in the Grainfather, and the temperature probe is at the same position as the receiving kettle (bottom probably) then it should work fine.

Grainfather has 1 element, I believe, but the controller is PID. Temp probe is in the side an inch or 2 from the bottom.

Back