Grainfather Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I’m intrigued by the Grainfather conical fermenter.

Space is at a premium in my apartment, so I’ve been fermenting in a corner of my basement storage area. It keeps at a nice 65-68* ambient (based on the min-max thermometer i placed there).

I know an old college fridge would work great, but lugging it up and down the stairs every time I want to ferment is a bit daunting. (My basement storage area doesn’t have any power outlets).

So enter the Grainfather conical: it’s not cheap: but I’m intrigued by the temperature control.... and size.

Are there alternatives to the GF out there? Is the GF worth it, given my situation?

There is a similar product but higher priced and missing some of the features......sorry, but I'm not allowed to be more specific publicly. :p Go talk to your LHBS if you have one and if they sell Grainfathers.

If you only require heating it could be decent. If you require cooling your gonna need a bunch more equipment that may defeat your goal. Best bang for your buck would be a small fridge if you need cooling but obviously it would need a permanent spot in the house. maybe on the patio?

If you only require heating it could be decent. If you require cooling your gonna need a bunch more equipment that may defeat your goal. Best bang for your buck would be a small fridge if you need cooling but obviously it would need a permanent spot in the house. maybe on the patio?

Well, they have the cooler kit: so a frozen water bottle and cooler could do the trick I think?

I looked at this as well and it is a nice setup for sure. I compared it to the SS Brewtech 7 gall BME conical with the cooling and heating package. The GF is $799 and the SS Brewtech is $769 so the money is close. I went with the SS Brewtech myself but it was more that I was ready to buy a glycol chiller and SS has theirs out and GF is still not for sale. The cooling package for the SS came with everything you would need to cool an ale in the low 60's besides a cooler. The footprint of the 7 gallon is small. Both are great options.

Back