Quantcast

Grainfather Conical Fermenter Owners Thread

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jamkin

Reaction score
I have built a wooden cart from some old shelving for my conical, so its about 3 feet above the floor. This allows me to gravity transfer from the small outlet tap so no need to transfer under pressure.
I also capture co2 whilst fermenting directly into a keg (previously used a fermenting bucket to collect).
Blow off tube connected to liquid out post on keg. Gas in post vented to a plastic pot. so only co2 is sucked back when cold crashing or bottling.
When kegging. I disconnect the blow off from the liquid in post & connect it to the gas port on the keg. The gas port is now connected to the top of the conical.
Gravity fill the keg from the small outlet tap on the bottom of the conical into the liquid post on the keg. As beer enters the keg co2 is now pushed out & back into the top of the conical. This results in a totally closed transfer system eliminating any o2 from entering the system.

Short video showing it in action see link below

View attachment 716806
The loop of silicon tube has a small amount of starsan in it which acts as an airlock.
what a set up!

franknbeans

Connoisseur of little
Reaction score
I was going to pull that ball valve apart, but got side tracked yesterday before I started brewing. I pulled the ball valve apart on my Anvil Foundry and thought I had cleaned it the last time... nope. It was nasty. I can only imagine how the conical one looks now. 🤦‍♂️ I ordered both the 1.5 x 7mm and 1.5 x 11.5mm orings to see which would fit. I had another set of 1.5mm thick ones and they fit the groove perfectly, so I'm hoping they work better. For now, I just put a couple new silicone ones back in there until these come. The 1.5 x 11.5mm ones were only offered in buna material, so hopefully it works ok.
Ok so I kegged the porter I had in mine last night and broke the valve down. The two sets of orings came in so I tried them both on the trub dump valve shaft. So.. the 1.5mm x 11.5mm are too big and won't work. The 1.5mm x 7mm are very tight, but they work. I now see why you said they are wrecked when taking off. I wonder if a 1.5mm x 9mm would be the key size?

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
In Grainfather instructions is mentioned the following sentence:”It is good practice to dump dead yeast every 2-3 days during fermentation to prevent the yeast from clogging the valve.
My question is, opening the yeast dump valve we are introducing oxygen to our fermenter....?
What do you think about this?
I got burnt by pretty much everything written there the first time I dumped out the trub valve. Obviously I ended up sucking in some air, then after I dumped, my RIS stopped fermenting and left the FG a bit high. I thought, there has to be a better way.

So, I bought the Grainfather pressure transfer kit and started on my CO2 journey. Now I can go 2 weeks for my big beers before I touch the dump valve. Using the CO2 pressure I can push the trub out the valve and not introduce air into the fermenter. The CO2 pressure is the key as the trub wouldn't come out the valve otherwise after 2 weeks.

I'm new to brewing, but CO2 pressure transferring is almost the best thing I've discovered in the whole brewing process. I do it everywhere. Fermenter into conditioning kegs, then back into bottling kegs, then pressure filling into bottles.

rycardo

Reaction score
I got burnt by pretty much everything written there the first time I dumped out the trub valve. Obviously I ended up sucking in some air, then after I dumped, my RIS stopped fermenting and left the FG a bit high. I thought, there has to be a better way.

So, I bought the Grainfather pressure transfer kit and started on my CO2 journey. Now I can go 2 weeks for my big beers before I touch the dump valve. Using the CO2 pressure I can push the trub out the valve and not introduce air into the fermenter. The CO2 pressure is the key as the trub wouldn't come out the valve otherwise after 2 weeks.

I'm new to brewing, but CO2 pressure transferring is almost the best thing I've discovered in the whole brewing process. I do it everywhere. Fermenter into conditioning kegs, then back into bottling kegs, then pressure filling into bottles.
You don’t use airlock anymore? Using the pressure transfer KIT to do this job?

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
You don’t use airlock anymore? Using the pressure transfer KIT to do this job?
No, I still use the airlock. But when I want to do a trub dump or start the transfer I remove the airlock and cap the opening to seal it.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I leave the pressure transfer kit on all the time. I just fit and remove the airlock and the solid cap that seals the unit as required.
928C824A-8AAE-4C84-B080-DB2DE83C52D2.jpeg

rycardo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
what do you think about this solution for canonical fermenter?
It looks as a 3 in 1 product:
1) blow off function, replacing airlock;
2) Useful during cold crash and taking samples, avoiding O2 to enter;
3) Bottling without O2 and with pressure.

It looks like a good alternative for Pressure Transfer Kit, it looks a little bit more dynamic.

Looking for your thoughts.
CF6E097E-06AE-424D-BA13-735860EC79D1.jpeg

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
can you send a pic with airlock set?
And how do you do for cold crash, you keep co2 open at 10 bar during all the process?
I can cold crash with the CO2 attached just as in the photo, and set the pressure to under 1 psi on the gauge.

Don’t have a photo of the airlock in, and I’m not at the fermenter atm. But the black cap you see at the top of the setup unscrews, and I use the other black cap that comes with the kit that has a hole through it. The airlock fits neatly through the hole in that cap.

deuc224

Reaction score
I have a big question guys, hopefully @Advance can chime in as well.

I plan on changing my brewbuilt max4 glycol chillers controllers to the inkbird ITC-1000F controllers, but how do get them to talk to the grainfather conical? I saw a video on short circuit brewer on how to get the grainfather glycol changed out but I would need the grainfather conical to tell the inkbird what/when to turn on the glycol pumps. Also I would rather use the grainfathers temp probe than the inkbirds probe, but lost on that too. Thanks guys