Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been storing my uncrushed grains in my cool dry basement in food safe us plastics buckets with sealed lids for the past few years without problem. I'm now moving my brew setup to the garage, and would like to store all my equipment, including grain mill out there. Think it's a good idea to store the grains out there as well?

Think it's a good idea to store the grains out there as well?

I think you'll be fine storing grain in your garage. I've had my grains in my garage in buckets with Leaktite lids for many months now with no problems. So long as they're sealed you shouldn't have any pest/moisture contamination, regardless of conditions in your garage. It's possible that if your garage bakes in the summer that could somehow affect the shelf-life of the grains, but I haven't notice any issues with mine and my garage gets pretty warm.

Cool, dry storage is always better for grain, but I keep mine in buckets with gamma lids out in the garage. I haven't noticed anything going bad, and it gets pretty hot here.

One thing to consider that most home brewers don't take into account, and I certainly don't - is to separate milling and brewing areas. Grain dust does clean beer no favors. Most of us don't have the luxury, but it sounds like you might.

I would consider putting out some type of rodent control if you're going to store grains in your garage.

It seems like no matter how careful your are there will always be enough spilled grain to attract pests.

We use mouse baits, and mouse traps. We have no kids and no pets so factor that in too.

I bought a dedicated metal garbage can. Complete peace of mind be ause no rodent is going to chew through that. Plus, the lid fits pretty tight. I doubt it's airtight, but it's close.

I bought a dedicated metal garbage can. Complete peace of mind be ause no rodent is going to chew through that. Plus, the lid fits pretty tight. I doubt it's airtight, but it's close.

I've thought about that. What about one of those Rubbermaid Brute trash cans or is the material the can is made of a food grade issue?

I'm using those cheap Sterilite containers that's at the dollar stores, but would like something with a more secure lid.

I may just continue to store and mill my grains in the basement then if there's concern of using the garage. Just move all my brewing equipment out there.

I store my grains in the garage in these Vittles Vaults. Summer temps can get a bit warm (~95 outside air temp) and the winters are frigid (~-30). I have never had any problems, but grain usually doesn't stick around longer than a year.
-pg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure it's sealed up good. I found some Vienna malt in a tote with a lid that didn't seal really good was mostly full of empty hulls and full bugs. Going to get some new containers for my grain now.

How fast do you go through grain? How much do you keep on hand?

I keep around 200-500# on hand and just keep them in their shipping sacks. I live in a dry climate so that helps quite a bit. They are in an inside room but it doesn't have temp control.

Latest posts

Back