Grain storage options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8gallonalchemy

Reaction score
What do you all do to store your grains (both whole grain and milled)? I don't like having to use and throw out so many ziploc bags.

I use small tupperware-like containers for the small amounts of grain, ice-cream buckets for larger amounts, and 5-gallon buckets with gamma-seal lids for the bulk grain. Some people use vittle-vaults which is a different form factor but the same gamma-seal lid.

buckets.jpg

I see folks talking about these Vittle Vats pretty often. Also seen folks post about just using 5 gallon food grade buckets that seal tightly

upload_2019-10-23_7-19-1.jpeg

Personally, I brew pretty small volumes (1-2.5G batches) and order maybe 10 lbs of base at a time. I usually just vac seal 1-2 lbs at a time and reseal partial bags of specialty grains.

Why are you throwing away ziplock bags? I reuse those things until they get holes in them.

I use gallon sized ziplock bags for specialty grains (anything a pound and under) and two gallon bags for malts i have 4-5 lb of. I keep those in a big rubbermaid bin.

I have two vittles vaults for large amounts of base malt.

20150811_161218.jpg 20150811_161232.jpg Lock and Lock type food containers of different sizes for smaller amounts. Buckets with Gamma Lids for large amounts. It takes 2 for a sack of grain. I never store milled grains.

I see folks talking about these Vittle Vats pretty often. Also seen folks post about just using 5 gallon food grade buckets that seal tightly

View attachment 649396

Personally, I brew pretty small volumes (1-2.5G batches) and order maybe 10 lbs of base at a time. I usually just vac seal 1-2 lbs at a time and reseal partial bags of specialty grains.

These are great. A little pricey, but so far mouse-proof.

I also use 5-gal buckets with gamma-seal lids for smaller quantities of grain.

I dont brew enough or have the space for holding bulk grain . Every brew I go to my LHBS and get the grain for that brew . If I had room I'd use those 5 gallon buckets . Cheap and seal well.

As a heads-up--the Gamma Seal lids are fairly pricey, but if you live in an area that has Menards home stores, they have them for normally $6.99, which is as cheap as I've ever seen them. And, right now, they have their 11% off sale which drops the price to $6.20. That's pretty good.

And you can get the buckets on 11%-off sale now, too. They're food-safe.

I can get about 25# of grain in one bucket.

As a heads-up--the Gamma Seal lids are fairly pricey, but if you live in an area that has Menards home stores, they have them for normally $6.99, which is as cheap as I've ever seen them.

Lowes sells them too.

The one thing that sucks about the Gamma Lids, is that your empty buckets won't stack properly with the new lid.

gamma lids on 5 gal buckets for bulk/base malts. I use extra large 1/2 gal mason jars for smaller qty. and all sorts of containers with lids for in between qty...

but in all cases, store grain whole...it will last years if kept cool, dry and airtight

lol, seriously? 79 cents? and people give me crap for being cheap.....

If you're buying one, it's not a big deal. Buy 10 of them and get back to me. :)

And in the end, it's how expensive it is compared to others. Lowes, for instance, has them for $7.53. The difference between that and the Menards price is $1.33. Multiplied by, say, 10........

If you're buying one, it's not a big deal. Buy 10 of them and get back to me. :)

And in the end, it's how expensive it is compared to others. Lowes, for instance, has them for $7.53. The difference between that and the Menards price is $1.33. Multiplied by, say, 10........

let's see 10x1.33=13.33....still not seeing it.....lol, do you think about the 9/10 a cent extra you pay on gas too? when i think about saving money i'm more concerned with frequency....but please try to pick up on my tone of humor.....we're all homebrewers here, so WAY BETTER than civilians! ;)

let's see 10x1.33=13.33....still not seeing it.....lol, do you think about the 9/10 a cent extra you pay on gas too? when i think about saving money i'm more concerned with frequency....but please try to pick up on my tone of humor.....we're all homebrewers here, so WAY BETTER than civilians! ;)

I'm just trying to say if someone wanted to get some gamma seal lids and have access to Menards, now's the time.

I'm actually surprised at this. When you look at how many home brewers are trying to do it as cheaply as possible, as minimalist as possible, saving a buck here and there helps.

Perhaps this would help: you get 5 free buckets with the money you save, plus a little bit. Maybe "free" sounds better than saving money.

Maybe "free" sounds better than saving money.

you're very right, in reality it means included.......a bunch of crack addict marketing teams, thinking faster than i ever could, with as much as i drink. trying to take my money....

but anyway, gamma lids are great, or you could try the feed store for a bucket like this:

https://www.curtec.com/en/products/drums/wide-neck-drums

they carry them at my feed store, what i use as a fermenter too....

Lowes sells them too.

The one thing that sucks about the Gamma Lids, is that your empty buckets won't stack properly with the new lid.

New lid?? Are you sure it is actually a Gamma Lid? An internet search did not find any "new" lid.
I haven't bought a new Gamma Lid for many years. I have not seen any "new" lid. The ones I have stack fine.

BTW, Home Depot no longer sells the Gamma Lids. They have ones by Leaktite. The same that make the buckets. I have looked at them and they don't look like they are as well made as the Gamma Lids.

A big part of it is how you buy your grains. If you buy several bulk bags at a time, you have certain storage needs. If you buy in a smaller quantities, you have different storage needs.

I mainly buy my grains in 10-lb bags from Morebeer. I keep them sealed in the original bag until they're ready to use. For base grains, I typically use most of the bag in one batch so I'm only storing a partial bag. I just put a chip-clip on the bag, and it's fine.

If you're looking to keep a few bags away from mice, you can get this for $12.58. It won't seal as well as some other options if you're worried about storing for years, but it's fine for plenty of our needs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOUUETY/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Vittle vaults work fine for me. 1 unit holds a full sack, and relatively small footprint. 1 for GWM 2 row and the other for Crisp MO.

Latest posts

Back