grain storage containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does increased grain last? I never really considered storing a library of grain. Usually don't keep mine for more than a few months.

One brew day I open one of the specialty malt totes and I see weevils crawling all inside it. Hundreds of them! Some were starting to venture out looking for another food source...

When I lifted the 2 brown paper bags that grain had come in, you could hear the rustling, pretty loud.

Looking inside the paper bags, the grain was literally moving, crawling. Every grain had a little perfect round hole in them.

Phew!

Talking about a show stopper......Just when I was thinking about collecting and storing base grains, I see this post as if it was taken from a Alfred Hitchcock show. lol

A baker told me to put bay leaves in with stored flour or grains to keep weevils away. Not sure if it works but I haven't had a weevil problem since I started following his advice.

A baker told me to put bay leaves in with stored flour or grains to keep weevils away. Not sure if it works but I haven't had a weevil problem since I started following his advice.

That's an idea!

They can still ride in with newly bought grain. I doubt the bay is killing them. I've read to freeze the grain, it kills the eggs. It can be kept unfrozen after that. Should be manageable for (small) bags of specialty malt. But I'm not looking forward to freeze 3 sacks of base malt after next group buy...

The kicker is, those grains were coming from Whole Foods... which to me means they undoubtedly know they have a weevil problem and it's probably throughout their whole supply and dispensers. I am 100% sure if I ever buy special grain there, it's gonna get frozen or used within a week or less.

Back