Grain storage container size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foppa78

Reaction score
I just went in on my first bulk grain buy and was wondering if anyone knew how many quarts or gallons container I would need to store the entire contents of a 55lb bag of grain? I am wondering if it would be easy/cheaper to split the bag into two separate containers if I cant find one big enough to store 55lbs. Feel free to post pictures of how you store your grain.

I use a aluminum trash can with a thick outdoor trash bag lining it. Then I set my entire 55# sack into the can+liner, tie the bag loosely, put the lid on, then put a concrete brick on top of the lid.

bxp39417.jpg

Got the Al trash can from my local Menards (Home Depot without the incessant orange color) for under 20 bucks.

I thought about plastic, but we have mice, and they'll eventually chew it, I"m sure. They chew everything else.

I have access to a lot of old 5 gallon plastic water jugs. I dry them out good, and they work great.

I use plastic trash cans and place the entire bag or bags of malt in them. They are kept in my garage, cool and dry. I have not had a problem with insects or rodents and I have been doing this for about 6 years.

Dr Malt

The only real insect pest to concern yourself with is the cereal moth. Take some bay leaves and some dried rosemary, fold it up inside a paper towel, and tape the towel up into the lid over the grain.

The aroma from the herbs should deter the moth from even entering the container.

I live in a semi-rural area and squirrels and rodents are a concern so I picked up two large aluminum trash cans from Lowes/Home Depot/etc. I haven't gone too crazy (yet!) but they'll easily accommodate a couple hundred pounds. I keep my base and specialty malts in bags inside the trash can and bungee the lid down. No issues so far - it's been almost a year since I went AG.

I know pet and farm supply stores sell airtight containers to keep grain/feed in. The larger ones should hold a sack of grain.

I use plastic food grade buckets similar to the "ale pails" . They are 5 gallons, and it takes about 2 to hold a 50# sack. There is a cookie factory in my area that gets all their various fruit fillings in the buckets. They have a nice sealing lid.

I also use the same buckets when I go to my LHBS to hold the grains. It is nice to have all the grain for a 10 gal. batch in one bucket...instead of a bunch of "recycled" plastic bags that my LHBS usually uses.... (usually ones that had grain in them originally, so they are marked with a different kind than they actually contain when I am done filling them....)

I just buy the XXL ziploc bags, their largest, 20 Gal. I think. I just bought a second box - 3 bags for under $5. Check the bottom shelf of your grocery section where all the other ziploc bags are. A 55lb sack will fit inside!!!! Squeeze the air out and zip it up. I keep the bags in the basement and between that and our cats, I don't have to worry about rodents

Great thread, I just bought my first 50 lb bag of grain...thanks to a "new" local home brew shop!

If 1- 20 gal bag holds a 55 lb sack, 2 gal zip lock bags should be ideal for 10 lbs of grain.

I'd like to bag up 10 lb portions to place in my 5 gal buckets to store and yu kinda answered teh question I had.

Regards and Happy New Year to All!

I use "pet food" conatiners:

31%2B3UxcVcaL._AA300_.jpg

Air-tight and rolls around nicely on the wheels. Holds about 50-55# (a 55# may not fit, depending on the grain). Available at Amazon for $25 including shipping if you have a Prime account.

From a previous thread, there is a chance there may be weevil eggs in your grain, but if you put the grain in the freezer for a couple days first it will kill them. So unless you plan to use it quickly that may be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the pet food containers. They are on rollers which helps the old back out. They also sell smaller dog treat size containers that hold 10# of grain.

Just an idea. Old broken chest freezers are usually free. Can be kept outside. And can store hundreds of pounds of grains. I live in a rural area as well and this is how farmers store their feed to keep the mice out of it.

I use "pet food" conatiners:

31%2B3UxcVcaL._AA300_.jpg

Air-tight and rolls around nicely on the wheels. Holds about 50-55# (a 55# may not fit, depending on the grain). Available at Amazon for $25 including shipping if you have a Prime account.

From a previous thread, there is a chance there may be weevil eggs in your grain, but if you put the grain in the freezer for a couple days first it will kill them. So unless you plan to use it quickly that may be a good idea.

For what it's worth I just bought three of those same containers last night at the local Tractor Supply Company for $19.99 ea. Same brand and size as in your Amazon link. (I would have bought more, but they only had three on the shelves.) It may be worth the trip to TSC if there is one nearby, rather than buying online at Amazon.

I have yet to clean them out and put my grains in them, but the label states they will hold 62# of bird seed, which should be fairly similar to grains. I'm guessing they will hold 25kg (55#) bags of grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has some great ideas. The local brew shop uses the vittle vaults for shelf storage and selling to folks.

I've opted to obtain free 5 gallon icing buckets and weigh up 10, 11,12, and 7 lb packages in 2.5 gal stor it bags ( 5 for a buck at Dollar Tree). Ordered some of the gramma lids from amazon, but the icing bucket has a gasket and fits pretty good in the meantime. Using storage bags does require more buckets though, my 5 gal bucket holds a 10 lb bag and an 11 lb bag.

Regards

Side note for specialty grains....5lbs will fit in a 6 quart storage unit with a little room to spare....

I bought 6 or so specialty grains in 5 lb amounts from the group buy we had locally...
I got rubbermaid cereal keepers that hold 6 quarts and they are air tight too...

Side note for specialty grains....5lbs will fit in a 6 quart storage unit with a little room to spare....

I bought 6 or so specialty grains in 5 lb amounts from the group buy we had locally...
I got rubbermaid cereal keepers that hold 6 quarts and they are air tight too...

1# of barley is slightly less than 1 quart volume (I fill to about the 30 oz mark of a measuring cup instead of weighing).

1# of wheat even less volume than barley. I fill the measuring cup to about the 28 oz mark.

I have plenty of room in each one with 5 lbs.... But looks nice to have all the rubbermaid containers lines up...lol... 10% worried about functionality.... 90% sweet looking....

Actually I had them stored in the dollar store shoe boxes....but they weren't air tight

Oh yeah I stopped at lowes yesterday and they had food grade white lowes buckets with lids with rubber seals for 6 bucks I think...

Oh yeah I stopped at lowes yesterday and they had food grade white lowes buckets with lids with rubber seals for 6 bucks I think...

The homer buckets at Home Depot are $2.97 and another $0.97 for the lid with rubber seals. I currently use them now.

Pros: Cost, availability
Cons: Stacking them makes the lids deform, can't fit 1 55lb bag between 2 (they fit maybe 25lbs each)

I went into Petsmart today and their 50lb petfood containers were something like $43 (TopPaw brand). I've been in Walmart before and I remember them being over $30. Considering I want maybe 4 of them (Pils, Pale, MO, Wheat) for base malts, I can't justify that much.

Back