Grain Storage Bin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisfromAbby

Reaction score
I need to build a proper grain storage bin. I tend to buy in 25kg bags from Gambrinus as they give such a great rate at the gate. Currently I have 9 of the Rubbermaid 74L plastic bins for my base malts (pilsner, pale, ESB, honey, munich, rice hulls, vienna, wheat, plus one for my specialty malts) but these apparently pose no barrier whatsoever to rats. :-( They even got at the rice hulls - WTF?
So far, I have been unable to find anything here on HBT about building something out of sheet metal. You know, something from which grain could be dispensed almost like those grocery store bulk food department bins, made out of metal? Maybe I'll just have to make a simple large steel cabinet, unless anyone has found a good re-purposing solution?

Chris

I use buckets and food bins, which seem to keep out mice. The cat helps too, though not as much as she should. Would galvanized steel trash cans do? If you're worried about the metal, you can line them with bags.

[QUOTE="JohnSand, Would galvanized steel trash cans do? If you're worried about the metal, you can line them with bags.[/QUOTE]

I tried that a few years ago. You definitely need some kind of liner. The inside smelled very strong of oil used in the manufacture. I scrubbed and scrubbed but couldn't get the smell out. I decided to heat the seam around the bottom and this heavy thick oil dripped out. I gave up and used it as a garbage can.

I use 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Lids for sacks of grain. You need two buckets for a 50 lb sack. I have 2 quart lock and lock containers that hold about 5 pounds each and assorted smaller ones. The buckets stack in a corner, the boxes stack on shelves.
20150811_161218.jpg 20150811_161232.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Lids for sacks of grain. You need two buckets for a 50 lb sack. I have 2 quart lock and lock containers that hold about 5 pounds each and assorted smaller ones. The buckets stack in a corner, the boxes stack on shelves.
View attachment 580013 View attachment 580014

I use buckets/gamma lids for all my grain and dog food. I have even repurposed my old plastic brew buckets and added gamma lids.

Back