Grain spill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So a little bit ago today, I saw that a bag off grain had fallen over and spilled in the garage. I just scooped it into a bucket. Think its still good to use? The garage floor is dry, I'm just not sure what's been on the garage floor or is mice were messing with and things like that.

Yeah, that's how I was feeling. I dont think there's anything toxic, but the person who we bought the house from used to have lot of fertilizer in the garage, so I'm not sure how much of that would still be lingering on the floor almost a year later.

I think it's too late now, but if you hadn't already scooped it up, you could have tried scooping off and saving the top layer. That's probably easier said than done, though.

If you toss the bucket's worth, you're out what, $20?

I just hate wasting stuff
I hear you, but I'd probably fall into the better-safe-than-sorry camp on this one. If it was inside my house, I'd probably scoop it up and use it. In my garage, where exposure to chemicals is a real possibility, I'd probably toss it (especially if it was free anyway).

Who knows, though. You might brew with it and make the best beer you've ever had! :p

Yeah, you're probably right. If I'd lived in the house longer I might have a better idea of what's been on the floor in there. I'd hate to accidentally make someone sick.

A new 55# sack of grain will set you back $50 or less in many areas. I’d invest In a gamma lid storage bin or galvanized can to store it in. Mice and pantry moths love this stuff.

I hate to waste too. So it's a bit of a judgment call.

If that floor has been sweeped before (or regularly) what could be left? If it's a clean and dry floor, and not in an oil spill, angle grinder dust, or so, it's likely just fine.
You could sift the grain in a (large) sieve, little bits (8 oz?) at a time. Collect and look at what drops through. Let that be your guide.

If still in doubt, you could rinse it well, let dry before milling, or mill damp, it's conditioned now. Once it's been wet, don't store it again, use it all up, right away. Never store it wet.

I guess "garage" can be a relative term. Some people have garages that are nicer than my house ("garagemahals"). My garage has all of the above contaminants, including welding slag, grinding dust from steel and aluminum, sawdust, plus some transmission fluid, motor oil, power steering fluid, rodent droppings, etc. I sweep and use a blower before doing "clean" projects, but there is no way my garage would be clean enough to use dropped grain. YMMV, as they say - your garage floors may be clean enough to eat off?

So I'm thinking the guy who gave it to you for free had probably spilled it on his floor.
That's after the supply store accidentally dumped it and put it on sale. That's after it came from a farm where the grain harvester leaked oil all over the field and guys in boots shoveled it into barrels.
But you can't help those parts. This one is on you, so I would totally dump it because you'll be tasting that garage floor in your mind when you sip the beer😀

Back