Grain Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Okay, I am in the market for a grain mill. I want something I can use for most all grain recipes, and would rather have it be something that I use over a 5 gallon bucket than afix to a table with a clamp.

Who can give me some recomendations on a good one to buy?

Well, I looked around and found the "Schmidling malt mill" and decided to buy one. Got it stright from Schmidling for $110 plus shipping.

Has anyone used one of these? I read all kind of reviews on it, and it looked to be good enough for me. Its the "P" model, unadjustable.

I have done a bit of research... to no avail. It seems everyone is happy with the grain mill they get. Most articles I read list the same four or five mills and say they are all good.

Well, with no one particular model standing out in the reviews, I have decided to order the Barley Crusher with the 15 lb. hopper. I'm gonna spend the bit extra for the large hopper so in case this hobby grows (which it seemingly will ;) ) I will have equipment that I can still use.

I will order this tomorrow morning... just a short delay to allow anyone with experience on this mill to comment on it. I don't want to delay any longer than that because I have been shopping for one for two weeks and my head hurts from it :rolleyes: .

I'm afraid this does not answer your question since I have the same question as you, but let me know what you think of yours after a few uses and I will update this thread as to my experiences and maybe others can benifiet from this thread in the future.

Well, it looks like we will have to try em out and let each other know then!

I never even saw the Barley Mill. Im curious to know how it works for you!

Barley Crusher is in :) a few cents under 150 bucks included S.&H. and the upgrade to the 15# hopper. For this price, it is a very competitively priced mill. Adjustable rollers, hopper, mount to go on top of a five gallon pail, handle and can be directly driven by 3/8" drill chuck with no additional parts (or cost). The construction seems top notch. I will use it this weekend and post again. I've yet to use any other so I can't compare the finished product with that of other mills unfortunately, but I will reference what I have read as being a good crush.

I just got mine today as well. I will have to get my next recipe supplies and put her to use and post a review.

I just saw on another forum that The BarelyCrusher is offering free shipping to celebrate National Homebrew Day
between May 1st and until May 7th on both the 7 lb. & 15 lb units.

This places the 7 lb unit at $109.50 - under the Schmidling unit, which I was planning on buying. I may have to get one of these while the getting is good! :p

Used the Barley Crusher for the first time just this past weekend. Good grind (from the little experience I have to speak from) and adjustments are easy to make so you can tweak in on that perfect grind. I'm just doing grains for steeping right now so I haven't done alot. Used the hand crank for the little I had to do. I'm happy so far.

Tony said:
Well, I looked around and found the "Schmidling malt mill" and decided to buy one. Got it stright from Schmidling for $110 plus shipping.

Has anyone used one of these? I read all kind of reviews on it, and it looked to be good enough for me. Its the "P" model, unadjustable.

I've use one of Jack's mills for the past 6 years. Before that I used one that came from the defunct (I believe anyway) Brewtek. The only thing I dont like about it is the rubber ring drive starter for the undriven roller. It will eventually break and is hard to replace and hard to do without. I finally started feeding a leather strand (which i later fish out of the mash) to get the other wheel turning. Other than that, it's an awsome piece of gear.

Ken

rixport said:
the rubber ring drive starter for the undriven roller

Do you find this neccesary? I guess you wouldn't run the leather through if it werent... The 'Barley Crusher' also has one of these but it states that this piece need not be replace once it wears out. I'm just curious if I will be needing to be concerned over this in the future. I was kinda thinking that the grains alone would get the 'ball' to rolling...

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
Do you find this neccesary? I guess you wouldn't run the leather through if it werent... The 'Barley Crusher' also has one of these but it states that this piece need not be replace once it wears out. I'm just curious if I will be needing to be concerned over this in the future. I was kinda thinking that the grains alone would get the 'ball' to rolling...

It's a crap shoot at best.. the problem is, once you get the grain in the mill and it just sits there and spins because the roller is not getting a grip on any of the kernals, you gotta turn it upside down and empty it out.. then try again.. i've found that you have to have some 'sure fire' friction creating device between the rollers i.e. leather lace. Once the grain starts feeding thru, as long as you keep it going, it'll be fine. Good luck..

Ken

Actually, if you reach underneath the mill and give the idle roller a little spin with your hand, you can get the mill going without having to empty out the hopper - even if the mill is running. The direction of the rollers assures that you aren't going to get your hand caught or squashed or anything.....but still, be careful.

Back