Grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope... Few red flags.
44 pounds per HOUR rate. That's insane (in a low/slow way).
4L hoper is SMALL
60W motor is TINY

You can get a Monster Mill (two roller, base level) for $139. The Monster Mill is also made in the US (in Georgia). Take the difference and buy a good drill to use with a MM model. Support US companies. ;)

Nope... Few red flags.
44 pounds per HOUR rate. That's insane (in a low/slow way).
4L hoper is SMALL
60W motor is TINY

it take me 30 minutes for me to mill 20lbs?

hopper can be fixed with a $5 bucket

motor i assume spins at some insane speed, and that's what the gear box is for? not sure on that...

Support US companies. ;)

with in reason, but i've met 'all american' dope cooks...not an improvment over south of the border....but sometimes the chinese are alright....

:mug:

I've spoken with the man behind Monster Mill before. Good luck doing that with a Chinese company. ;) I bought my first mill from him around 2011 (two roller, hardened steel 2"diamater BEAST!) that's now up for sale since I got the top end three roller mill now. :D I also have the motor he offers to power the mill. Not to mention I got his hopper for the original (IIRC, holds about 10 or so pounds) plus the extension to give me 33# capacity. I can run through 20# in a handful of minutes (IIRC, I'll time the next run).

Monster Mills are a solid product from a small business run by a standup guy.

Good luck doing that with a Chinese company.

i tried buying my presciption off alibaba once...thought f'it why not, then i don't have to go to the doc once a year....got a call from them in a couple hours...i think he was trying to speak english....but i got the phone call! 🤣

I can run through 20# in a handful of minutes (IIRC, I'll time the next run).

i'm thinking that's too fast them? i purposly run my mill to grind 20lbs in 30minutes? if i run it too fast them somehow the grain goes through uncrushed, how ever that mystery works...

The motor (from Monster) is at the RPM they recommend the mill is run at. Keep in mind, I'm using 2" diameter rollers. I also don't need to worry about things with the setup. The motor has enough torque that I think I could put limbs through it (people and/or tree) and it would just process it.

I swear, there are times when I walk past the cart with the setup on it that it either snickers, or growls, at me.

I don't really time my run since I simply load the hopper, set the catch bucket, flip the switch and then watch the grain rain on down. Changing catch buckets as needed. Coming brew day is about 30# of grain. I expect to need at least two buckets for the crushed grain.

your not a UPS man are you? :mug:
Uninterruptable Power Supply?? Nope... Not Brown Santa either. ;)

I don't mind spending $$ on quality products. Or things I know will last. I might not always go top of the line, but I pretty much never go below mid-grade. Learned earlier in life how going cheap actually ends up costing you MORE in the long term.

Uninterruptable Power Supply?? Nope... Not Brown Santa either. ;)

I don't mind spending $$ on quality products. Or things I know will last. I might not always go top of the line, but I pretty much never go below mid-grade. Learned earlier in life how going cheap actually ends up costing you MORE in the long term.

yeah, but there be predators out in the world though...they smell the air like that and....

I have plenty of drills, mostly Dewalt and mostly cordless so motorizing isn't a problem. I would just rather not have to use a drill. I also want a mill that has gears to drive all rollers whether it has 2 or 3 ,not just one.

I also want a mill that has gears to drive all rollers whether it has 2 or 3 ,not just one.

damn i didn't even notice it was a gear mill too! good call on that, i have to jump start mine a lot....

i remember there was another thread on something like this a while back i lost contact with it so don't know how it ended, but i'll try to dig it up...

and for the hell of it, and the 60 watts thing, i use a harbor freight drill for my mill, planing on brewing soon...i'll plug it into my kill a watt meter let you know what it draws....

well i plugged it into the kill-a-watt, dialed it down to 60 watts empty....filled the hopper, jumped to 80 watts, but didn't have the torque, had to turn it up to 100 watts to get it grinding...just fwiw....not sure if a better gear motor would do it or not, it did "kinda" keep going at 60 watts......

hope that helps... :mug:

well 30 minutes later done grinding grain, working power of 100 watts dropped to 77 empty.....take it for what it's worth...

Pretty sure that mill has made at least one appearance and discussion somewhere in HBT in the last 12 months but damned if I can find it.
I do not recall a favorable consensus opinion...

Cheers!

yeah i lost track of the thread, never found out if they pulled the trigger and got a conclusion....

I'm thinking to buy it and if it doesn't perform I can always send it back. I'll post results here whenever I get them. It will be a while as I'm 2500 miles from home atm.

I have plenty of drills, mostly Dewalt and mostly cordless so motorizing isn't a problem. I would just rather not have to use a drill. I also want a mill that has gears to drive all rollers whether it has 2 or 3 ,not just one.
At most, a three roller malt mill, will have the top two rollers geared with the third (lower) one not geared.

I've not had ANY issue with the old MM2 being stuck when I went to run it. I would always load the hopper with grain, then start turning it. Even when I was using my DeWalt (18v) cordless (hammer) drill. I never needed to 'reverse' the rotation of rollers to get things running. Of course, I would clean up the dust, at least some, after each run. Over the past ~2 years I've been using air from my compressor to blow dust out from around the rollers. It's both an easy, and fast, way to get things cleaned up where they matter.

IMO, unless you're in a HIGH humidity environment, and plan to leave your malt mill in that type of setting, stainless rollers aren't needed. I've had the hardened steel ones for over a decade now without any issue. Maybe if I was running with a weak motorization option it would have had issues, but I don't fly that way. ;) More power is always a good thing. ;)

At most, a three roller malt mill, will have the top two rollers geared with the third (lower) one not geared.

The Crankenstein 3GT has three geared rollers. I drive mine with a Harbor Freight low-speed (mud) drill and it takes 2-3 minutes to mill 15# of grain (as I recall). Works great, but I’m sure it pulls more than 60 watts.

I'm thinking to buy it and if it doesn't perform I can always send it back. I'll post results here whenever I get them. It will be a while as I'm 2500 miles from home atm.

If you buy it, please post a review after you run it through its paces. I'd be curious to hear how it does, especially with hard grains such as wheat.

The two Amazon reviews aren't much help--one 5-star and one 1-star.

After much research I decided to order this one.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/mighty-mill-3-roller-grain.htmlSorry to disappoint those waiting on a review but this one is a better deal I think even without a motor. I have a motor and a gearbox I can adapt to the task so no biggie. I also think this one is better than the MM3 due to geared rollers and ease of adjustment of the crush. Time will tell if I've made a good choice.

After much research I decided to order this one.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/mighty-mill-3-roller-grain.htmlSorry to disappoint those waiting on a review but this one is a better deal I think even without a motor. I have a motor and a gearbox I can adapt to the task so no biggie. I also think this one is better than the MM3 due to geared rollers and ease of adjustment of the crush. Time will tell if I've made a good choice.
Bought the same a few months ago. I'm very happy with it to date. I blew through18.5# of grain today enroute to a Baltic Porter. Never a hiccup so far.

Looking for a grain mill that's not too pricey. Recommendations. I have been using a blender but its either too fine or too course. Wifey has a Wondermill I got hooked up to Dewalt drill but its messy, like the big hopper types.

You will definitely want a motor off some kind. Drill is cheapest option. It can be done by hand using the crank handle but you'll get tired of that method long before you grind enough for a 5 gallon batch.

Back