GRAIN MILL VIDEO: Phil mill mod for use with drill motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a few weeks and I've meant to get the McMaster-Carr part number of the shoulder screw for you. #91259A636 - 3/8"x3" Steel Shoulder Screw. Basically I took the crank arm off by unscrewing the welded shoulder screw, then cut the head off the new screw and threaded it in hand tight. You then chuck it up in your electric drill and start grinding! See in the video the newspaper chute taped on the bottom, it's because the crushed grain fires out of the base at about 20°-30°. All over the kitchen floor the first time.

1394083252226.jpg

The next mods I plan on making are to mount it to a 5gal bucket lid, and figure out something less flimsy than the 2 liter bottle funnel. It works, but it's cheesy. The mill itself is really legit, you should pick one up from a sore armed brewer and do this mod. The screw was about $3 and the milling goes really fast now and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Back