Grain Mill Stops Pulling Grain Through

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
It keeps happening, and it seems to be getting worse. It'll just start spinning and not pulling the grain through. I have to jam something down into the grain up agains the mill bars to get it to start pulling grain again. Today it required constant attention to mill my grist.

I never mess with my crush size. I brush down the milling bars with a clean paint brush after each use. It looks just fine, but it's really starting to get on my nerves.

Any ideas why this might happen, and what I can do to fix it?

Have you confirmed that your gap has not changed?
I always check, particularly when I've milled wheat or rye.

I haven't checked the gap itself, but my crush is as I'd expect. I thought about the possible gap change. I could see too tight of a gap causing what I'm experiencing, but I can't see too wide if a gap causing this, and I can't see a gap getting more narrow on its own, right?, only getting spread apart.

Does the non-driven roller spin freely when engaged by hand?

It does move freely by hand.

Definitely check the gap. My barley crusher had a rubber o-ring around the passive roller and when it broke off, I Started having this issue. I got something the measure the gap, set it to .043 and have no issues

I had the same problem with a new mill. Very frustrating, was ready to fire it against the wall.

Took it apart, cleaned it of gunk. keg lube on the bushings. Reassembled and it runs like a well oile...... well you know how that goes.

Like a different mill to be honest. I'd recommend you do the same.

What grain are you crushing? I find Crisp Maris Otter very hard to crush with my Monster Mill 3. You basically have to dribble in grain very slowly until the second roller is spinning then it will crush like mad.

Chris

Definitely check the gap. My barley crusher had a rubber o-ring around the passive roller and when it broke off, I Started having this issue. I got something the measure the gap, set it to .043 and have no issues

I'm still pretty sure the gap isn't the issue. I don't have any rubber O-ring (if I recall, I had one but it broke upon first use. :) anyway...). In your case, with the o-ring, when it broke, I could see your gap getting tighter, and causing this issue. I could only imagine my gap widening from use, but I don't see a wide gap causing this issue.

I had the same problem with a new mill. Very frustrating, was ready to fire it against the wall.

Took it apart, cleaned it of gunk. keg lube on the bushings. Reassembled and it runs like a well oile...... well you know how that goes.

Like a different mill to be honest. I'd recommend you do the same.

So cleaning yours didn't help? I am considering a new mill, just would rather spend my brewing money on other toys.

What grain are you crushing? I find Crisp Maris Otter very hard to crush with my Monster Mill 3. You basically have to dribble in grain very slowly until the second roller is spinning then it will crush like mad.

Chris

Today it was mostly Weyermann Barke Pilsner, a good bit of Schill Dark Munich, and a small percent of torrified wheat and oat malt.

I

So cleaning yours didn't help? I am considering a new mill, just would rather spend my brewing money on other toys.

Sorry.

Cleaning and oiling it had it running better than new. ("Like a new mill") Reading my post again I can see the confusion. Sorry.

Clean it, oil it and you'll be a happy camper I reckon.

Sorry.

Cleaning and oiling it had it running better than new. ("Like a new mill") Reading my post again I can see the confusion. Sorry.

Clean it, oil it and you'll be a happy camper I reckon.

Ok, gotcha. I though you may have been trying to be sarcastic. I had also considered taking it apart to clean the inner workings, so maybe I'll just need to do that.

Update:

I went to grind my next batch today, and realized I never took care of deconstructing my mill to clean and lube it. Well, it was too late to do that. Especially considering I set my mill width three years ago and haven't messed with it since. It'd take me a while to get my crush back to the proper width, let alone the deconstruction, cleaning, and reassembly. On mine, I found I can take off one wall, without disturbing any of the moving parts. I did that, gave it a good brushing, and blew the gunk out by just blowing in there. Just this worked wonders. It slipped up three times crushing 23 lbs of grain. Two of those time it was just for a moment, and then it fixed itself. Just once I had to disturb the grain to get it to pull again. Compared to last time, when I literally had to constantly fix it, this basically fixed it. I'll probably take it apart again and blow some compressed air in there. Eventually I assume I may need to completely disassemble and lube it up, but for anyone searching about this issue, I figured I'd report back that a good cleaning out of the grain dust went a long way.

I know you said cleaning it has seemed to make the issue go away but...
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have a barley crusher? .. If so I suggest you do search here on "worn roller barley crusher" or just search "grain mill worn roller" and you'll find the threads are all related to the barley crusher... Your problem is a very common issue with the Barley crusher mills.

You can send the mill back to take the roller replaced and it should only cost you shipping and handling...

I thought a grain mill was basically zero maintenance.

I have a cereal killer and I'm pretty sure that it has sealed bearings.

Most is said but I have a crankenstein 2s that I drive with a makita variable speed drill. The drill does duty on other projects and from time to time I have isdues with grain not pulling through, always it relates to the speed setting on the drill being to fast.

I know you said cleaning it has seemed to make the issue go away but...
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have a barley crusher? .. If so I suggest you do search here on "worn roller barley crusher" or just search "grain mill worn roller" and you'll find the threads are all related to the barley crusher... Your problem is a very common issue with the Barley crusher mills.

You can send the mill back to take the roller replaced and it should only cost you shipping and handling...

It is a Barley Crusher. Are you saying the manufacturer will replace the roller at no cost other than shipping? It doesn't look worn, but who knows I guess.

Most is said but I have a crankenstein 2s that I drive with a makita variable speed drill. The drill does duty on other projects and from time to time I have isdues with grain not pulling through, always it relates to the speed setting on the drill being to fast.

I drive mine from a hand drill that I just velcro the trigger down so I don't have to hold it the whole time. I definitely err on the side of slow, as it give me the best integrity of the hulls.

The barley crusher sucks. I hate mine. It's been sent back twice, and it still sucks.

I had issues when the darn thing was less than 6 months old, and hadn't even put that much grain through it.

I've had it a long time now, and just deal with it sucking as I don't really feel like spending again for a new one but I would never recommend one to anybody.

I found that some of my work arounds could be helpful- but watch your fingers! When it sticks, put your hand underneath and try to turn the slave roller with your finger (but keep your drill turned off!!!!!! if you're using a drill. If that doesn't work, turn the drill on, and go backwards for a second. Then try again.

It is a Barley Crusher. Are you saying the manufacturer will replace the roller at no cost other than shipping? It doesn't look worn, but who knows I guess.

I drive mine from a hand drill that I just velcro the trigger down so I don't have to hold it the whole time. I definitely err on the side of slow, as it give me the best integrity of the hulls.

One thing I never see mentioned: Before you fill the hopper first check that the non-driven roller spins freely!

If it's stuck it won't pull anything through. I have that issue once in a while with my MM2 too after a period of no-use, not sure what causes it, but it's easy to free up.

yes they have a lifetime warranty some people get it back in weeks and some seem to have to wait much longer. You will want to message them first.

The barley crusher sucks. I hate mine. It's been sent back twice, and it still sucks.

I had issues when the darn thing was less than 6 months old, and hadn't even put that much grain through it.

I've had it a long time now, and just deal with it sucking as I don't really feel like spending again for a new one but I would never recommend one to anybody.

I found that some of my work arounds could be helpful- but watch your fingers! When it sticks, put your hand underneath and try to turn the slave roller with your finger (but keep your drill turned off!!!!!! if you're using a drill. If that doesn't work, turn the drill on, and go backwards for a second. Then try again.

Not sure why I didn't think to try that yet. Way better than what I've been doing, which is sticking the handle end of the brush I use to clean the thing into the grain and down to the mills. That works, but turning the drill the other way for a second seems like a no-brainer.

yes they have a lifetime warranty some people get it back in weeks and some seem to have to wait much longer. You will want to message them first.

Good to know, maybe I'll send it back.

When I have these issues with my barley crusher, speeding the drill up always takes care of it.

I have this issue with my Barley Crusher as I've had mine for 6 or 7 years now and the rollers are likely pretty worn. I started conditioning my grains which helps the rollers pull them through. I let the grains sit for 10 minutes after conditioning, then run through the mill. It works pretty well and has the added benefit of not shredding the sh*t out of the husks. So it's a part of my procedure now. Give it a try, see how it works.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a replaced/repaired Barley Crusher. I bought one brand new and after about 100 brews, it stopped pulling in grain. It was the same issue as everyone else - worn rollers. I packed it up and sent it back to the manufacturer with a note, never heard anything back. Nothing at all. That was over a year ago.

Having experience outside of brewing with sealed bearings, I can say that there is a big difference in quality from low end bearings to high end. If your roller stops turning, there is dust in those bearings. Compressed air is a bad idea because it forces more dust into the bearing, no matter how well sealed they are. Vacuum is the best choice for cleaning it out. How do I know this? I have already replaced the bearings in one roller after using compressed air to clean it.

Having experience outside of brewing with sealed bearings, I can say that there is a big difference in quality from low end bearings to high end. If your roller stops turning, there is dust in those bearings. Compressed air is a bad idea because it forces more dust into the bearing, no matter how well sealed they are. Vacuum is the best choice for cleaning it out. How do I know this? I have already replaced the bearings in one roller after using compressed air to clean it.

As far as I know Barley crushers don't have sealed bearings. They have bushings. At least mine does.

Back