Grain mill recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwill911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm making the jump from extract to all grain and now I need a mill. I'm looking at several and thought I'd tap the brain trust for recommendations. MoreBeer has a few I'm interested in Malt Muncher 3 roller and Mighty Mill 3 roller, the later comes with a base board and has SS rollers, where the Mighty Mill the base board is extra but has cold rolled steel rollers. When the base board is factored in the price is ~ the same.
Anything else I should consider. I did look at the more expensive Kegco 3 roller that appears to be gear driven and is ~$20 or so more + shipping.
Thanks,
John

I have a 3 roller Malt Muncher, it works well. Definite improvement over my old two roller mill, yet another worn out barely crusher.

The first one I got had a poorly machined roller, but morebeer sent me a new one after I documented the problem. I was told it was uncommon

My guess is you will be happy with any well made three roller mill.

Last edited:
Love my Monster Mill I got back in 2011. ONLY get stainless rollers if you're in an area with rust/corrosion problems where you'll use the mill. Otherwise, the rollers will wear out faster than the non-stainless ones. Mine has hardened steel rollers (2" diameter). I have the motor from Monster on it as well (had to make a riser for the mill to get the shafts to align).

IF I was looking for a new mill I'd get their 3 roller that's at the correct height for their motor as well.

I got the hopper, and extension, when I purchased the mill. Has a total capacity of about 33# (IIRC). Means that any recipe I have can get ALL the grain put into the hopper at one shot.

Love my Monster Mill I got back in 2011. ONLY get stainless rollers if you're in an area with rust/corrosion problems where you'll use the mill. Otherwise, the rollers will wear out faster than the non-stainless ones. Mine has hardened steel rollers (2" diameter). I have the motor from Monster on it as well (had to make a riser for the mill to get the shafts to align).

IF I was looking for a new mill I'd get their 3 roller that's at the correct height for their motor as well.

I got the hopper, and extension, when I purchased the mill. Has a total capacity of about 33# (IIRC). Means that any recipe I have can get ALL the grain put into the hopper at one shot.
Thanks for the feedback. Although we not far from the coast we don’t have high humidity here (SF Bay Area). I think I’ll go with the MM3, not going to go with the three roller geared model w/ 1/2 drive shaft.

I would recommend the geared model. The non-geared model has a habit of sticking once in a while. Its better since I slightly loosened the mounting bolts but still, every once in a while it catches me off guard. No big deal unless you dump 15lb of grain and it decides to stick. I get around that by tossing in a handful first, then dumping the rest if it feeds. If not moving the rollers by hand fixes it but that doesn't work with grain on top, even when reaching under. The geared version would completely eliminate this annoyance. I have the All American motor on mine with the big hopper and a stand I built. Not cheap but its been a great mill other than the sticking issue.

I'm making the jump from extract to all grain and now I need a mill. I'm looking at several and thought I'd tap the brain trust for recommendations. MoreBeer has a few I'm interested in Malt Muncher 3 roller and Mighty Mill 3 roller, the later comes with a base board and has SS rollers, where the Mighty Mill the base board is extra but has cold rolled steel rollers. When the base board is factored in the price is ~ the same.
Anything else I should consider. I did look at the more expensive Kegco 3 roller that appears to be gear driven and is ~$20 or so more + shipping.
Thanks,
John
I’m a fan of the 3 roller Monster Mill. I used one that I motorized for 8+ years before I was gifted a custom commercial quality mill.
I gave the motorized MM to a brew buddy and it’s still in use.

MM3 when they first opened. Stainless model w 1/2” drive. I power it with a mounted 1/2” drill on a router speed control. I too would get the geared model if I had the option. If not, don’t tighten it to the base too tight. The movement keeps the off roller from not spinning. I had a lot of trouble with it not pulling the grain in until I loosened it up. I’ve ran probably 50 sacks through it with hardly any wear.

There are many threads on mills, I would do a search.

and i try to read them all! my JSP is kinda past prime, waiting for something to out do it! :mug:

(i haven't seen the geared topic brought up much in other threads, and i agree. geared would be nice, i have to jump mine once in a while to get to catch...

the only reason i didn't get geared, is i went for adjustable on both sides? how do geared ones adjust the gap? because the reason i ditched the phil mill i was using, is the roller was crooked and half the grain was not crushed running it through it)

Last edited:
You just need two rollers to get the job done. Adding a third, less reliable roller is pointless. Don't fall for the marketing BS. Crushing malt between two rotating objects is the basic truth of what you're doing, goes back thousands of years. Splurge elsewhere.

i once heard a quote unrealted to this..."what's better then 1 roller (phil mill), 2 rollers, whats' better then that? 3 rollers! better then that? 5 rollers!" lol :mug:

and i try to read them all! my JSP is kinda past prime, waiting for something to out do it! :mug:

(i haven't seen the geared topic brought up much in other threads, and i agree. geared would be nice, i have to jump mine once in a while to get to catch...

the only reason i didn't get geared, is i went for adjustable on both sides? how do geared ones adjust the gap? because the reason i ditched the phil mill i was using, is the roller was crooked and half the grain was not crushed running it through it)
I’ve had my JSP for 17 years and its going to outlive me. Mine is geared.

8D3B4B6F-0F7E-4AA6-82FD-8FDFE9E5DB52.jpeg

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I did try searching as I thought it would be common question.
I've found that searching HBT is way easier just using google instead of the search bar on the top of the HBT page.
I just enter Homebrewtalk and whatever I'm looking for.
Back to the mill, a 3 roller I'm sure would be great, my old 2 roller mill does an adequate job, I run the grain through twice for BIAB.
If you have the extea cash, buy the best one you can find.

I only do 5 or 5.5 gallon batches so take this with a grain of salt if you do big batches, but I use a plain old Corona mill. Not saying it is necessarily best for you but I like mine just fine. It is certainly the cheapest solution unless you happen to know where you can get your hands on two suitably shaped rocks! (I am told that they eventually wear into good fit and alignment after several years of hard use.) The Corona is very compact and does the job fine for me.

Me neither, as long as I make sure the non-driven roller spins freely (engaged by hand, from below) before filling the hopper. ;)
Never needed to do that (move the roller by hand). I have mine set up with the motor from Monster. More than enough power to get it running and not stop until I tell it to. Even before that, I never had issues with it when using the cordless drill to run it. The motor is so damned convenient to use. Simply load up the hopper, put the container under it, flip the switch and watch the crushed grain rain on down. The only reason I watch it is to ensure the container doesn't overflow, and/or even it out during the run. I might make a new cart for the mill this year.

Never needed to do that (move the roller by hand).
Not sure what causes it getting "stuck." Maybe it needs to be realigned, again.

After a few times getting caught filling the hopper and only the driven roller spinning, I now just make sure the slave roller runs freely, before I start the (semi-permanently mounted) drill and fill the hopper.

Not sure what causes it getting "stuck." Maybe it needs to be realigned, again.

After a few times getting caught filling the hopper and only the driven roller spinning, I now just make sure the slave roller runs freely, before I start the (semi-permanently mounted) drill and fill the hopper.
What do you do to 'clean' it after use? I use the compressor to blow all the remaining dust out of the works after each run.

I would recommend the geared model. The non-geared model has a habit of sticking once in a while. Its better since I slightly loosened the mounting bolts but still, every once in a while it catches me off guard. No big deal unless you dump 15lb of grain and it decides to stick. I get around that by tossing in a handful first, then dumping the rest if it feeds. If not moving the rollers by hand fixes it but that doesn't work with grain on top, even when reaching under. The geared version would completely eliminate this annoyance. I have the All American motor on mine with the big hopper and a stand I built. Not cheap but its been a great mill other than the sticking issue.
The geared model wasn't available at the time I got my hardened steel MM3 but I would go with geared if I had the choice again. Mine does the stick thing once in a while but no big deal all you do is reach under with power off and rotate the non driven roller just enough to free up the stuck barley ( the 2 non-driven rollers will jam with a few unmilled grains and the main drive roller just spins) 1/16th ish turn put the bucket back under and turn it on. Minor inconvenience but it would be nice not to have to deal with it although I guess there is no gears to wear out.

What do you do to 'clean' it after use? I use the compressor to blow all the remaining dust out of the works after each run.
Nothing, really. When done, I just give the "drill platform" a rap on the 2 buckets it sits on to drop most of the clinging dust into the bucket. Then it gets put away.

You may be on to something! Some dust collecting, making the slave roller stick a little, enough to preventing it to engage in the next session.

Mounted-Monster-Mill-MM2_500.jpg

Nothing, really. When done, I just give the "drill platform" a rap on the 2 buckets it sits on to drop most of the clinging dust into the bucket. Then it gets put away.

You may be on to something! Some dust collecting, making the slave roller stick a little, enough to preventing it to engage in the next session.

View attachment 754934
IMO, eventually enough dust will gather to cake/compress around the moving bits to give you issues. It's one of the reasons I use the compressor to clean it up.
IMG_20200521_171520.jpg

I have one of these as well, a good value for the money.
I bought one somewhat recently and I’m very impressed with it and satisfied. However, I brew 5-6G no more than 8x a year. I assume the OP is looking at the more expensive 3-roller mills because he plans on a higher volume of brewing.

BTW- When I was brewing that much, I had a couple of buddies that would come over and help, one would help one time and another the next, each would get half of what was made, so we each would get two kegs of different beers each time.
Usually they would pay for the malt, I would provide the hops, yeast, propane and equipment.

At that time we were having a bunch of parties and the beer, ciders, and hard lemonade would get consumed, although I usually had ~100 gallons on deck in addition to what was in the kegerators. I referred to it as my beer library. lol
And I was all the time giving away 1/2 gallon growlers of beer to anyone who wanted it, hey you really like it, take a growler home with you, enjoy.

We also lived in a metro area of about 500k at that time, now I live in a town with ~2300 people.

Just trying to get "caught up" with having been gone for 2 years now.
My "brew list" continues to grow with what I'd like to have, in the kegerators and on deck.
My wife's friends love the ciders, meads and lemonades.

I have had a MM2 for 8 years, and have used a Bodine DC motor to drive it the past 5. I am pretty sure I mounted the supports to spec, but had problems for a few years with grain getting stuck and keeping the non-driven roller from turning. I added some fender washers as shown to keep grain from being able to get in there and cause a problem. If your gaps are small enough, you would not have this problem. The nice thing about the DC motor and variable speed controller is that I can vary the speed and reverse direction if I ever have an issue.

I have the advantage of being local to Monster Mill, and was able to buy a S&D unit with 2" stainless rollers & 1/2" drive shaft at a substantial discount. Thanks, Fred. While a 3 roller mill might provide a small benefit, I agree with Jayjay1976. This quality 2-roller mill is all I will ever need.

Attachments

• 20220108_210253.jpg
    20220108_210253.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 20220108_210246.jpg
    20220108_210246.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220108_205838.jpg
    20220108_205838.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20220108_205824.jpg
    20220108_205824.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
The only reason I had trouble with the bottom roller on my MM3 not turning, came from the bushing IMO. I think loosening the mount gave it room to move. I do wish Fred used sealed bearings. Just my opinion of course. I have zero complaints with my mill. I bought it before the web sites and this home growth. Really a quality product! No idea on the customer service because I haven’t needed any in the past decade. I generally condition my grain and mill. Might be the moist dust that was getting into the bushing. I mill at .030 and can’t imagine a mill being any better. Like all things, you figure out what makes it tick. My drill is an old Skill from the 70’s that will break your wrist if ya know what I mean. Sure there are cheaper Chinsleaze models. Wouldn’t buy anything else, doesn’t mean I’m right, just a passionate Monster.

Back